University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Plumb, Ralph Gordon / A history of Manitowoc County
(1904)

Chapter VI. Marine,   pp. [55]-84 PDF (9.7 MB)


Page 60

60
further aid was forthcoming, notwithstanding frequent efforts
to that end. An appropriation of $12,500 failed of passage in
1855; another in 1856 shared the same fate. In February of
the same year Senator Dodge asked leave to introduce separ-
ate bills for Manitowoc, Sheboygan, Milwaukee, Racine and
Kenosha, and'such leave being granted, the share of Manito
woc was fixed at $12,500. Senator Seward offered an amend-
ment, striking out that'sum and inserting $62,780.92, in order
that the entire project might be completed. This was agreed
tobut the bill in its finalformfailedto become alaw. In-1858
a special appropriation for Manitowoc was introduced by Con-
gressman Billingshurst but it was pigeon-holed. Thus it
came to pass that no further action was taken by the govern-
ment in improving Manitowoc harbor until after the civil war,
as that conflict during its progress put a damper on all pro-
jects of such a nature.
Manitowoc was made a port of entry in 1854, C. W. Fitch
being chosen 'the first deputy collector and a fog bell was
placed at the river mouth during the same year.  That fall
Col. K. K. Jones began the construction of what was known
as the north pier at the foot of Chicago Street.  It was 950
feet in length, and was built by Capt. Rouse at a cost of $6000.
Mr. Jones continued to run the pier until 1861, when he sold
it to Peter Johnston. A bridge pier was also built at Two
Rivers in 1854. With these limited facilities, two bridge
piers, a lighthouse and a shallow channel, citizens of Manito-
woc began to wake up to the importance of action and had it
not been for the war something might have been done much
sooner. The Pilot estimated that the village had lost in the
single year, 1860, by not having a harbor, the sum of $150,-
000. It was this feeling that prompted a harbor meeting,
called February 5, 1861. S. A. Wood officiated as president,
C. Esslinger was secretary, while remarks were made by H.
Berners, P. P. Smith and A. C. Pool. ILI was decided to ap-
point a committee, consisting of J. Bennett, H. McAllister,
H. Beriers. S. A. Wood and H. Mulholland, Sr., to draw up a
bill authorizing the county to raise a harbor tax of $30,000.
At another meeting held in April much discussion over the


Go up to Top of Page