University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Plumb, Ralph Gordon / A history of Manitowoc County
(1904)

Chapter V. Means of communication,   pp. [42]-54 PDF (4.3 MB)


Page 50

50
six years, one of the picturesque figures of pioneer days. For
many years there were but three postoffices in the county,
Manitowoc, Manitowoc Rapids and Two Rivers. Among the
first postmasters in the forties at the last named place were
Andrew J. Vieau and H. H. Smith. One Oscar Burdicke car-
ried the mail in 1846 from Manitowoc to Two Rivers, his com-
pensation being the revenue of the route. In 1846 Meeme
was added with Henry B. Edson as its first postmaster and
later in the year Cooperstown also, A. A. Cooper being the
first official at the office, which was at that time in Brown
county. With the addition of these two new offices new mail
routes were made necessary and were accordingly put in oper-
ation. In 1851 routes from Manitowoc to Green Bay via Two
Rivers and Mishicott and from Manitowoc to Stockbridge
were added, while the next summer daily mails were instituted
by boat from Chicago to Manitowoc. At about the same time
the government was memorialized to change the Green Bay
route back to the original road through Francis Creek and the
line was later re-established. The anxiety of the inhabit-
ants for mail facilities was manifested by frequent petitions
sent Congress during the next year. including requests for
lines from DePere to Manitowoc, by way of Morrison, Brown
County, from Chilton to Manitowoc, from Sheboygan to Chil-
ton by way of Schleswig and from Mishicott to Door county.
In the course of time all of these lines and many others were
established.
J. H. Colby, Manitowoc's first postmaster was succeeded
by James L. Kyle, a Whig appointee, the -office being located
in the store of J. E. Platt at the corner of North Seventh and
Commercial streets. James Bennett was Kyle's successor and
he in turn gave way to S. A. Wood who surrendered the place
in 1857 to A. Wittmann, President -Buchanan's appointee.
During Wood's administration the office was at the corner of
Franklin and Eighth streets, but later was removed to the
present site of the Victoria Hotel. From 1854 the establish-
ment of postoffices in the county was rapid. In June of that
year P. M. Falrich was appointed the first postmaster at
Mishicott; in August the Maple Grove post office was opened


Go up to Top of Page