University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Smith, Toni; Wedemeyer, Martha (ed.) / Tea and service : 100 year history of the Port Washington Woman's Club
(1998)

History of Woman's Club


Port Washington and Anna Ubbink walked through the tour with
members of the Woman's Club.
In January 1985, the Pebble House, which is on the Registry
of Historic Buildings, was moved from the Electric Company's
property. In connection with the move, the Port Washington Woman's
club sponsored an appropriate drinking fountain to be built. This was
some 75 years after Mrs. Turner's wish was expressed.
In 1988, dues were raised to $15.00 to meet operating
expenses.
In January 1989, Woman's Club started holding meetings at
the Masonic Lodge, but board meetings continued to be held at the
Neiderkom Library. Dishes, tables, and the piano were moved to the
Lodge, and chairs were stored at Christ the King Church. Meetings
were held at the Lodge until a few years ago, when they moved to the
community room of Frieden's Church.
From its founding in 1898 and continuing through today, the
Port Washington Woman's Club has been an active force in the
community, representing women from all walks of life who have
joined together for fellowship and who, through constructive action,
have helped build, serve, improve, and enjoy the community in which
we live. Membership in the Club provides an opportunity for


Go up to Top of Page