University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Smith, Toni; Wedemeyer, Martha (ed.) / Tea and service : 100 year history of the Port Washington Woman's Club
(1998)

History of Woman's Club


to our club and to the State of Wisconsin as well. From this time until
1934, National Music Week was celebrated by a public concert
sponsored by the Woman's Club. The concerts were financially
unsuccessful in later years, and after 1934 the Club's musical efforts
were confined to entertainment with musical selections by local talent
at meetings. Outstanding programs during this period included a visit
to the Layton Art Gallery, a concert by the Milwaukee Downer Glee
Club, the Helen Mears lecture, a trip through the Milwaukee Journal
Building, plays, travel, and a trip to Rocky Knoll Sanitorium.
On May 11 and 12, 1932, the Club provided a large part of
the musical entertainment for the District Convention. A minuet was
dance by eight members in colonial costumes. Luncheon on both days
was served by the Christian Mothers Society at St. Mary's School and
the dinner was served by the Order of the Eastern Star at the Masonic
Temple. (There are no records of where these people stayed overnight.
Perhaps some of the members opened their homes to the delegates).
It was during 1932 that the Port Washington Garden Club
was organized at the instigation of the Woman's Club and the Rotary
Club. The Civic Committee purchased $20.00 worth of elm and
spruce seedlings and gave them to school children to plant and care for
in their own gardens. In 1937 these trees, 73 elms, were transplanted
to City Park. The trees were not tended after planting and most of
them died the same year.


Go up to Top of Page