Smith, Toni; Wedemeyer, Martha (ed.) / Tea and service : 100 year history of the Port Washington Woman's Club
History of Woman's Club
In 1911 and 1912 the Club got into closer touch with its neighbors. The Port Washington Woman's Club entertained the Cedarburg and West Bend clubs and were also entertained by them. In 1911, women's right to vote was a hot topic in the local newspaper. Most articles stressed the need to protect women and since the rearing and education of children was a woman's role, the vote might distract women from fulfilling their primary job. In 1912, the Woman's Club sponsored the first community forum for the discussion of this important topic. A vote was taken within the club itself and was against the women's right to vote, a vote that reflected the overall open minded but conservative nature of women of the new century. Soon thereafter, for the second time in the Club's short existence, the country was at war. The First World War greatly influenced the programs and work of the Club. Contributions were made to the YMCA, and 72 boxes of candy was sent to Port Washington boys in the army. A $300.00 Liberty Bond was purchased out of the Fountain Fund. A war orphan was adopted. No meetings were held for two months on account of the influenza epidemic. Meetings were again held in homes and no refreshments served. Average attendance was 16. (Question: Any relation between refreshments and low attendance?) After the war, meetings were again held in church parlors, and refreshments were again served. The influence of the war was still apparent. Programs related to the Red Cross, public health, sanitation, Americanization, immigration, social welfare, etc.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright