University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Smith, Toni; Wedemeyer, Martha (ed.) / Tea and service : 100 year history of the Port Washington Woman's Club
(1998)

History of Woman's Club


The Port Washington Star
WOMAN'S CLUB CLOSES YEAR
A Successful Year of Woman's Club Work
The meeting of the Woman's Club last Saturday closed the
1911-12 year's work, and though the unfavorable weather kept the
attendance down, the officers' reports were of interest to the
members and showed much accomplished in the past year. The most
active public work has been for the library and below will be found
the substance of the report on that institution.
From December 1, 1911 to May 1, 1912, borrowers cards were
issued to 82 new patrons, nine of which are county subscribers,
making a total of 600 borrowers, of which number 294 are children,
306 adults, 217 books have been donated and 65 were purchased by
the committee, seven had to be discarded making a total of 855 books
in the library, of which number 469 fiction, 207 children's, and 179
reference. The total circulation of books during that time was,
children 1079, adults 1680, reference 69, making a daily average of
47 books. Fines collected on over-due books, $9.05.
The election of officers resulted in the re-election of all the old
officers, except vice-presidents, and was as follows: President, Miss
Margaret Schmitt; first vice-president, Mrs. A. D. Bolens; second
vice-president, Mrs. W, F. Scott; corresponding secretary, Miss
Villa Ahlhauser; recording secretary, Mrs. N.E. Wilson; treasurer,
Mrs. Clarence Hill.
Important committee appointments were: Library committee,
Mrs. Ramsey, Mrs. Munster, Mrs. Lou Smith, Mrs. Wilson and
Miss Schmitt; Civics, Mrs. Zillier, Mrs. T.A. Boerner, Mrs. Cady
and Mrs. Moeser; Entertainment, Mrs. T.A. Boerner, Mrs. Scott,
Mrs. Steiner, Mrs. Carr, Miss Stone, Miss Harrison and Miss
Ahlhauser.
The next season's work of the club will begin September 28th.
The membership grew, and in 1904 the Club rented the
Masonic Lodge over Boemer Bros. Store (on the comer of Park Street
and Grand Avenue) for meetings. The Club began having more
outside speakers and became more involved in local affairs. In 1906,
the Club passed a resolution requesting C & NW railroads replace the
station building.


Go up to Top of Page