Wilbert, Carl F. / History of the town of Mequon
Later meetings were held by the firemen in the basement of the new firehouse which was attached. This was equipped with tables and chairs for card playing, a pool table, and a large table and chairs for use at the meetings. It also was equipped with a cupboard and utensils for serving sandwiches and beer or coffee. Twenty-two volunteer fire- men were admitted to the active department. The active members of the department were paid per call. The men who succeeded Mr. Lange as chief were Charles Bublitz, George Johnson, 1951 to 1955, and Manfred Sperber 1955 to 1969 who resigned Dec. 31, 1969, as provided by the ordiance mandatory at age 65. Milton Krumhus, assistant chief, succeeded Mr. Sperber with a full time salary. The department at present has 35 volunteer members. The department equipment at present, consists of one Sterling truck with Peter Pirch Fire iignhting equipment. in 1936 a diamc: d truck with a 600 gallon water capacity and power take off pump was purchased. In the abscence of municipal water, the department was forced to haul the water needed to extinguish a fire in large tanks. An International Truck equipped with a 500 gallon tank and a 500 gallon pump was added in 1939. The latest piece of equipment added in 1955 was a tank truck with a capacity of 4200 gallons of water. The Mequon common council authorized the purchase of a additional 100 feet of hose.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright