Wilbert, Carl F. / History of the town of Mequon
In 1932, Mequon decided to have a fire department of their own and subsequently organized their own. A meeting was held on Iay 15, 1933, and officers elected. The first president elected was Elroy Schubert and Oliver Gerlach, secretary, and Carl Gruenwald, treasurer. A committee of three was selected for the purpose to draw up a constitution and byOlaws. On May 15, 1933, the con- stitution and by-laws were adopted. On June 19, 1933, Win. C. Lange was appointed the first Chief of the Mequon Fire Department. He was a retired 14ilwaukee policeman and served the Mequon Fire Department until his death in 1947. 1 S'~ 11. 14vyea rs. Two kinds of membership were decided upon, active and in- active. Active members were elected upon application and approved for membership by election by the members and admitted on approval by a doctor for physical fitness. Inactive members were voted on and approved by the member- ship. They were members of a social nature and paid dollar f or permanent membership. Only the active members were allowed to wear the fire department uniforms. The Town Board under whose direction the Fire Department operated, then advertised for bids on a two pumper, motor driven. A Sterling< truck with a Peter Pershing Equipment was purchased along with 1000 feet of hose and some ladders. Mr. Al Breustedt agreed to build a garage to house the engine with enough spare room for meeting purposes.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright