University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Wilbert, Carl F. / History of the town of Mequon
([ca. 1990?])

Fire department

Fire Department
Up to the incorporation of the Village of Thiensville,
there was one _fire department, called the Thiensville-
T+  ,nnrl +1,  entire Town of
ivoequon Fire Department.  It sWr%0 0b  .... ..... Town.o
MJ]equcni.n  the unincorporated Village of Thiensville.
The co. 1 o f upkee , aL first was minimal and was supported
by voluntary donations by Thiensville and Mequon, and by
individual donors. The first fire house was situated on
Elm Street, across the street from the stone school
building, about one block east of the Green Bay Road in
It was a hand pumper, manned by six or eight men, four on
either side, who did the pumping and placed the water on
the fire. The next engine was a horse drawn machine,
usually by a team from the Thiensville Lumber Company.
This fire engine was followed by a motor driven pumper.
In 1912, the residents of the Village of Thiensville
decided to incor-norate as a village form of government.
The area to be included as a village was described and the
necess~ry incorporation papers prepared, and voted on by
the residents included, The vote was carried and the in-
corporation properly recorded. It was then known as the
Village of Thiensville.   The fire department was still
recognized as the Thiensville4ecuon fire department.
The town of iMequon agreed to pay the fire department the
sum of one hundred dollars for each fire reported and
responded thereto.

Go up to Top of Page