Wilbert, Carl F. / History of the town of Mequon
Dairy farming in Mequon
Dairy Farming In Mequon Theodore Lurtz at one time owned a farm in Sec. 3, R21E, west of the Milwaukee northern R. R. And the north side of Bonniwell Road on which he had a fine herd of Brown Swiss cattle. Andrew Armbuster owned the farm immediately west of the Kurtz farm. He specialized in the raising and breeding of heavy Percheron horses. The Henry Riemer farm on the east side of the Wauwatosa Road, about 1/4 mile north of the Freistadt Road, had a fine herd of Guernseys of about 50 to 60 head. Son Erwin eventually took over the farm and purchased a farm on the Bonniwell Road. The Frank Weyenberg farm was owned by Frank Weyenberg President of the Weyenberg Shoe Company. It comprised of about 572.6 acres, all in Section 25-30 and 36, in Range 22 E. On this farm he had a herd of Guernseys of a very good breeding. Upon his retirement, he sold the entire herd at auction. He also disposed of nearly all of his land with the exception of the original farm that he bought in the southeast quarter of Sec. 36, R22 E on which he still resides. The North Shore Country Club purchased a portion and Harry C. Formann, a builder and investor, purchased the balance. George O'N~eill of the O'Neill Oil Company of Miilwaukee owned a Guernsey herd and a farm which is now known as Country Club Estates and extends from the Milwaukee River south to the Mequon Road and east to the River Road, all in Sec. 23, R2lE.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright