Wilbert, Carl F. / History of the town of Mequon
Farming in Mequon
which left only 79 acres. But this farm, Louis with his wife (Nee Suelflow and sons and daughter) did general farming first and gradually progressed in pedigree seed growing in which he made a great success. He gave all of his children a good education, but none of them followed their father in the venture in which he was so successful. His seeds became known in Wisconsin and in several ad- joining states. Mr. Lemke gave a lot to the farmers in his success in raising pedigree seeds. Mr. Lemke also received a permit from the Town to mine gravel on the Schmidt farm. After removing the gravel of a portion of the farm, Louis graded and landscaped the gravel pit and thereby created a beautiful little lake on his farm. At this writing Louis Lemke is still active in his seed raising. Immediately to the west of the Schmidt farm, the O'Connell's owned an 80 acre farm. On this farm was considerable limestone which the O'Connells proceeded to take advantage of started to mine it. This limestone was in great demand for the building of barns foundations. The O'Connells sometimes employed 10 to 15 men in the quarry. Mr. O'Connell at one time was also an official as well as a stockholder in the telephone company. Two limestone pits were situated, one 1/4 mile north of the Freistadt Road on Granville Road and the other one about 1/4 mile outh of the Freistadt Road on the Granville Road. Limestone was used for building pruposes but soon too ex- pensive to mine, when crushers were used, Both these quaries were abandoned when gravel pits became prevalent.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright