University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Early history of Ozaukee County, Wisconsin

The Columbia Mill - now known as the Weber Milling Company,   pp. 22-23

Page 23

The Columbia Mill
lease, September 1, 1880, the mill was again sold at Sheri:
Northwestern Life Insurance Company of Milwaukee. On June
sold the mill to Mr. Charles Zaun, who built an addition w]
center portion. He also rebuilt the dam, which had been wi
spring flood of that year. The waterfall at this time was
ground only flour at first, then flour and a little feed.
to his son, Jacob Zaun, who in 1889 sold the mill to Charl(
and his brother John installed rollers to grind the grain J
round millstones which had been used for many years.
In the 1890's Charles Schaefer sold the mill to John V
tore out all the flour milling machines and remning stont
only feed. In 1926 the Cedarburg Nail Company bought it or
The reason for this was that they were dependent on the Col
water power, and during the suer the mill shut down and t
also forced to do so.
In the worst years of the depression, Gerhard and ElmE
their savings and-reopened the Columbia Mill and once agair
The building is now owned by the Cedarburg Nail Company, bt
Company is' owned by Elmer Weber.
Columbia Avenue is a resulting road due to the fact tb
cut to the Columbia Mill from the village instead of the rc
Street. The same thing is true of Highland Drive, which we
easy route to the depot from the mill.

Go up to Top of Page