University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Wester, Kevin J. (ed.) / Consumed by fire : a collection of writings about the famous Wisconsin Chair Company fire, Port Washington, Wisconsin, February 19, 1899

Sheboygan Telegram: Sheboygan, Wisconsin Monday, February 20, 1899,   pp. 25-27

Page 27

It is reported that Engineer Cuckle of the chair company is missing and was lost in
the building. Whether or not the report is true, cannot be verified, but no one is reported
to have seen him since the fire.
Two Milwaukee firemen, Michael Hackett and Patrick Linehan, of No. 4 and 10
companies respectively, were badly injured by the falling of a chimney. Hackett was
struck in the head and his lower limbs are paralyzed. Linehan received severe bruises
about the body. They were taken to a hotel where doctors dressed their wounds.
There is no truth in the report in THE MIL WAUKEE SENTINEL that a Sheboygan
fireman was injured. One Port Washington man was hurt, however. The latest report
received this afternoon is that the injuries of Patrick Linehan of No. 4 company of
Milwaukee are so severe that it is doubtful if he will live. His back was broken by the
debris from a falling building.
Delay in Getting Away---Excellent Work Was Done.
It was about 10 p.m. when the call for help reached this city and Chief Sandrok at
once prepared to go to the assistance of the unfortunate neighbors. It took more than an
hour to get started, however. The engineer and fireman of the yard engine had to be
hunted up and the engine afterward got out of the roundhouse. Then a flat car and a box
car had to be shunted into place and the engine and hose cart loaded onto the former. It
was after 11 o'clock when the start was made for Port Washington. The engine and hose
cart were manned by three south side men with Capt. Anton Buechel in charge. Chief
Sandrok also went along. In the box car with the firemen were some fifteen interested
Sheboygan citizens, including Senator Dennett.
The run to Port was made in good time and little trouble was experienced in
unloading the engine and hose cart. Some effective work was then done by the
Sheboygan firemen. They kept it up until about 7:30 this morning when they rested and
were served with refreshments. At that time the fire had been completely subdued except
in the smoldering ruins and in the big coal piles adjacent to the burned chair factory. The
special waited for the firemen, returning them to the city about 10 o'clock this forenoon.
Among the large number thrown out of employment to the disastrous
conflagration are many Sheboygan men. The blow will be a severe one to Port
Washington even if the factory should be rebuilt there, for in any event there must be a
long period of idleness.

Go up to Top of Page