Pioneers' Association (Outagamie County, Wis.) / Record of the pioneers of Outagamie County, Wisconsin : also an appendix containing the minutes and records of the Pioneer Association since our annual meeting of 1895
Record of the pioneers of Outagamie County, pp. -107 PDF (21.2 MB)
OUTAGAMIR COUNTY PIONEER RECORD. employed as operator at that point. In 1876 he removed to Kaukauna, and here he was in the employ of the M. L. S. & W. Railway company as station agent for some seven years, after the road had been built to this point. At that time the present south side of Kaukauna was a wilderness, there being but one residence of any size in the neighbor- hood. The railway station house was made of rough boards, neither lathed or plastered. This was destroyed by fire July 7, 1878, and while the new depot was being built, a box car on a side track was improvised for an office for two months. On the completion of the new depot, Mr. Towsley continued as station agent until his appointment,. Aug. 1, 1881, as cashier of Reuter Bros., a private bank. On Sept. 1, 1883, this bank was incorporated under the banking laws of Wisconsin and became known as the Bank of Kaukauna. The present officers are, Peter Reuter, president; Otto H. Runte, vice-president; F. A. Towsley, cashier; and under their judicious and conservative man- agement the bank has enjoyed a remarkable degree of prosperity, some of the main reasons being, undoubtedly, the prompt and business-like methods employed. In Dec., 1880, Mr. Towsley was married in Kaukauna to Miss Ella Tarwiliger, a native of Brown county. Four children have been born to them, three of whom are living, named re- spectively, Pearl, Charles and Ethel. In politics Mr. Towsley is a republican, and at the present time is serving as clerk of the board of education for Kaukauna City. A. B. WHITMAN. A. B. Whitman is a native of the state of Maine, where he was born in the year 1855. He is a son of S. S. Whit- man, who was born in Maine in 1811. He came to this state in 1857 and settled in Algoma, now Oshkosh, and in 1859 removed to Hortonville. In 1870 he came to Apple- ton and attended Lawrence University. He is now practic- ing law and is also engaged in the real estate business.
Images cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Appleton Public Library. For information on re-use, see http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright