University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Randall, Geo. A. / Illustrated atlas of Winnebago County, Wisconsin : containing outline map of the county, map of each township in the county, with village and city plats. Also maps of the world, United States and state of Wisconsin, together with other valuable information
(1889)

Brief history of Winnebago County, Wisconsin,   pp. [13]-15 PDF (4.9 MB)


Page 14

HISTORICAL SKETCH.
       George Ransom and family were among the very earliest settlers in
this
     town, having settled on a beautiful farm near Fisk's Corners.
     These were soon followed by C. W. Thrall, T. J. Bowles, H. Styles an
     others.
       The first settlement in the town of Nepeuskun was made by Jonathan
     Foote and family, in March, 1846. The Footes, after living in their
wagon
     some weeks, fimshed a shanty, thirteen by sixteen feet, in which they
     entertained new comers.
       In May, of that year, Lucius Townsend and brother arrived and took
up
     claims. On the day of their arrival, they took a plow from their wagon
     and turned the first furrow ever plowed in the soil of Nepeuskun. Before
     the close of the year they received as accessions to the settlement
A. B. and
     J. H. Foster, Samuel Clough, Jerome Betry, S. Van Kirk, J. Nash, D.
     Barnam, T. F. Lathrop, George Walbridge, W. C. Dickerson, L. B. Johnson
     H. F. Grant, John Van Kirk, Solomon Andrews, H. Stratton and Alonzo
     J. Lewis.
     The first settlement made in the town of Vinland was in the spring of
1846
     by N. P. Tuttle, followed immediately by Horace Clemans, who settled
on
     section 25, now Clemansville, and Jeremiah Vosburg on section 15. The
same
     year came W.W. Libby, Charles Scott, W. Partridge, Silas M. Allen, Samuel
     Pratt, Jacob and Walter Weed, William Gumaer, and Thomas Knott, jr.
     In 1849 came A. T. Cronkite, L. Beemis, Charles Libby, Henry Robinson
     and others.
       The first settlers in the town of Clayton were D. C. Darrow and Willian
     Berry, who came in 1846. They were followed by Alexander Murray,
     John Axtell, William Robinson, Benjamin Strong, L. H. Brown, William
     M. Stewart, George W. Giddings, W. H. Scott, L. Hinman, J. F. Roblee
     and others as early settlers.
     The town of Omro was first organized under the name of Buttes de
     Morts; it had for its first permanent residents, Edward West, A. Quick
and
     Hezekiah Gifford, who settled there in the spring of 1846. The town
filler
     up so rapidly after this that it is difficult to determine the respective
priority
     in settlement of the next new comers.
     At the town election held the following year, April 6, 1847, Edward
     West, John Monroe and Frederick Tice were elected supervisors; Nelson
     Olin, clerk; John M. Perry, treasurer; Barna Haskell, assessor, and
Isma
     Germain, justice. Among the earliest settlers were John R. Paddleford
     M. C. Bushnell and S. D. Paddleford.
     The first settler within the limits of the town of Nekimi, was A. M
     Howard, who located on section 2, in the summer of 1846. A large number
     followed so soon after that it is difficult, at this day, to fix their
respec-
     tive priority of settlement. Among the early settlers were Hiram B.
Cook
     who moved on his farm in 1847; William Abrams and his brothers, in th
     same year. John Joyce, John Ross, the Lords and Powells were among the
     early settlers.
     The first settlers in the town of Algoma were Chester Ford and his son
     in-law, W. A. Boyd, and Milan Ford. J. H. Osborn next followed in the
     spring of 1846. During the same spring came J. Botsford, E. S. Durfee
     John Smith, Noah and Clark Miles, Elisha Hall and Dr. James Whipple.
     By 1848, the land in this town was very generally taken up.
     The first permanent resident of the town of Black Wolf, was Clark
     Dickenson, who built his house and moved into the same in 1841. He wa
     soon followed by C. B. Luce, Ira Aikens, William Armstrong, Charles
     Gay, T. Hicks, Henry Hicks, Frank Weyerhorst and others. Armstrong
     and Gay settled there in 1845.
     The first settlement in the town of Winchester was made by Jerome
     Hopkins in the winter of 1847-8, followed in the spring by Samuel Rogers
     and family, and James H. Jones. This town was organized in 1852.
     The first settlers in the town of Poygan were Jerry Caulkins. George
     Rowson and brother, Thomas Robbins, Thomas Mettam, Thomas Brogden
     Henry Cole, Richard Barron, the Maxons and Reed Case. The first settler
     came in the spring of 1849, and most of the rest mentioned came during
     that year.
     The first white settler within the limits of the town of Wolf river
was
     Andrew Merton, who settled on what has been known since as Merton's
     Landing, Wolf River, in the fall of 1849, and was immediately joined
by
     Albert Neuschaffer and Herman Page.
     These few persons, for several years, constituted the only white inhabit
     ants in the town. The population is now almost exclusively German.
     Many more early settlers, some perhaps, of equal prominence with these
     named might be mentioned did space permit.
     Oshkosh, the county seat of Winnebago county, and the second city in
     population and commercial importance in the state, is beautifully located
     on the western shore of Lake Winnebago, at the mouth of the upper Fox
     river. The first permanent settlers, as before stated, were the Stanleys
and,
     the Gallups. who came in 1836. For the first ten years the settlement
was
     slow. Osborne & Dodge, Smith & Gillett, and Miller & Eastman
were the
     principal business firms of the village. Mr. Stanley and M. Griffin
a little
     later established themselves on Main street, and for a time conducted
busi
     ness on a more extensive scale. In 1847 two saw-mills were erected,
one
     by Morris Firman, and one by Forman & Bashford, and before two years
     had elapsed the following firms were operating mills more or less exten
     sively: Sheldon & Hubbard, Wyman & Co., J. P. Coon, Greer &
Co., Stilson 
     & Chase, Joseph Porter, and Brand & Sawyer. This was the beginning
     of that industry which has added so much to the wealth and prosperity
of
     Oshkosh.
     A grist-mill was built late in the forties and the inconvenience from
     which the settlers had so long suffered was now overcome by the enterpris-
     ing firm of Forman & Co.
     Some of the most important business firms in Oshkosh in 1849 were: Dry
     goods, groceries, etc., Weed & Baldwin, Andrea & Papendick,
J. Davis
     Whiteacre & Langworthy, W. A. Knapp & Co., David & Ford,
M. J. Baker
     James A. Chesley, who also included drugs, paints and oils; J. C. Hayes
     Eastman, CottrelI & Ames, George Warren; clothing stores, Samuel
Eckstein, 
     David Robinson & Co.; boot and shoe store, Petersilea & Geschwender,
     Henry Priess; hardware store, Hay & Hall; books and stationery,
     E. R. Baldwin; groceries and provisions, P. V. Wright, B. F. Phillips,
   J. K.  & J. Hicks; jewelry store, J. W. Scott; storage, forwarding
and com
   mission, Gordon & Dodge; hotels, Oshkosh House, by Manoah Griffin
   Winnelago hotel, by A. Olcott; liquor store, A. Sittig; shoemaker, Edward
   Edwards; blacksmithing, Edward Eastman, C. T. Kimball, C. A. Garrett
   Oshkosh Steam Saw-mill, M. Firman; Fox River Iron Works, G. S. Olin
   proprietor, grist-mill and saw mill gearing, steam engines, etc., made
to
   order; sash factory, John J. Fort; furniture dealer, J. Y. Davis; architect
   and builder, George Williams, harness maker, Albert Pride; gunsmith, J.
   Craig; livery stable, J. Harris; attorneys-at-law, Rowley & Austin,
G. W
   Washburn, L.P. Crary, Buttrick &  Spaulding, Blodgett & Hobart,
Gabe
 Bouck, Eighme & Onstine; physicians, A. B. Wright, B. S. Henning, G.
H.
 Kleffler; notaries, Clark Dickenson, E. A. Cooley.
     In 1850 the additional firms advertising are as follows: Steam saw-mills
D. W. Forman & Co., Reed &; Wyman, Chase & Stilson, Gere &
Co.; planing
mill, Hubbard & Ridlon, and Firman; foundry, Williams; flouring
mill, D. W. Forman & Co.; clothing houses, McCourt & Marks, Anton
 Andrea; dry goods, groceries, etc.,  G. C. Ames, Gruenhagen & Son, A.
H
Read, H. Hicks & Brother, L.  H. Cottrill, Reardon & Brother; groceries
ans provisions, R. Vessey; wine and cigar store, Theodore Frentz; drug
 store, M. J. Williams; iron and hardware stores, A. N. and A. H. Raymond;
sash, door and  blind factory,  Chapman  & Abbott;  tannery, G. D. Bullen
 Oshkosh brewery, Scheussler & Freund; furniture warerooms, Henry
Reynolds; tobacconist, A. H. L. Dias; wagon and carriage shops, Barnes &
Schaub; Eagle Hotel, F. Mills; Algoma House, Cooley & Moody; meat
market, Conrad Ernst.       
  From a mere village in 1849, Oshkosh had in three years assumed in
population and business enterprise such proportions as to entitle it to be
classes among the thriving cities of the wet.  Early in 1853 it was granted
a city charter, and in the first election the following officers were chosen:
Mayor, Edward Eastman; city clerk, William Luscher; treasurer, W. H. 
Weed; Marshall, E. Neff; School superintendant, E.R. Baldwin; aldermen, 
first ward: W.G. Gumaer, H.Swart; assessor, D.Dopp; justince, C.Coolbaugh;
constable, James Ray, Alderman, second ward: Manoah Griffin,
 A. Andrea; assessor, W.A. Knapp; justice J.R. Forbes; constable F.M. 
Crary; aldermen, third ward: A. Neff, Seth Wyman; assessor, F. Leach;
justice, L. B. Reed; constable, M. Moody.
  Nothing seemed to check the progress and phenomenal growth of the
city. The country surrounding was of unsurpassed fertility; its lake and
river navigation made the country for miles in all directions tributary to
it; the lumber business rapidly grew to enormous proportions; and with
all these natural advantages and a population possessed of the business
thrift that is seen only in western cities it is not a matter of surprise
not-
withstanding the numerous calamities, which will hereafter be mentioned,
that the city and the people prospered.
  Fires.- But few American cities have so often been visited by such dis-
astrous fires as Oshkosh, and none has displayed more courage and recup-
erative energy. The first of the numerous disastrous fires occurred in
May, 1859. It started in a barn in the rear of the Oshkosh House, and be-
fore it could be extinguished every building on both sides of Ferry street
from Ceape to Washington and Algoma streets was destroyed. This was
followed seven years later, May, 1866, by another fire which commenced on
the west side of Main street and swept the whole block from High to Al-
goma street, then crossing to the east side destroyed nearly the whole
block from Waugoo to Washington. It then crossed to the north side of
Washington, destroying all the buildings on that street from Main to Jeffer-
son, including postoffice and public hall.
      The fire of May, 9, 1874, although less destructive than the two great
 fires above mentioned, yet the aggregate loss amounted to many thousands.
 Scarcely had the buildings destroyed by the last fire been replaced, until
 the great fire of 1875, which in a few hours swept away the wealth of a
 half a century's accumulation, and resulted in a loss variously estimated
at
from $2,000,000 to $3,000,000, had become a part of the history of Oshkosh.
Notwithstanding the fact that almost the entire business portion of the city,
as well as many of the residences and public buildings, was swept away,
the courageous enterprise, the undaunted spirit of progress had in less than
one year built a new city. Like the fabulous bird it had arisen from its
own
ashes.
   Oshkosh has grown to the second city in the state in population. Its res-
idences and public buildings are all of the modern style of architecture,
 many of them elegant and costly. It contains manufactories of almost
 every description, and in some lines the most extensive in the northwest.
 Its merchants and all classes of business men are enterprising and pro-
 gressive. Its schools are equal to the best in the state. Its church houses
 are models of architectural beauty.
   Mayors from date of incorporation to present time.-Edward Eastman, 1853;
 Joseph Jackson, 1854-55; Thomas A. Follett, 1856; Joseph Jackson, 1857;
 S. M. Hay, 1858-59; B. S. Henning, 1860; John Fitzgerald, 1861;
 H. C. Jewell, 1862; Philetus Sawyer, 1863-64; Carlton Foster, 1865-66;
 J. H. Porter, 1867; C. W. Davis, 1868; J. H. Porter, 1869; Joseph Stringham,
 1870; James V. Jones, 1871; James Jenkins, 1872; James V. Jones,
1873-74; Joseph Stringham, 1875; Andrew Haben, 1876-77; Sanford Beckwith,
 1878; Dr. H. B. Dale, 1879-80; Joseph Stringham, 1881; George W.
 Pratt, 1882-83-84; Andrew Haben, 1885; Carlton Foster, 1886; H. B. Dale,
1887-88.
    Neenah.- In accordance with the plan elsewhere mentioned, the govern-
 ment in 1831, in furtherance of the scheme to civilize and Christianize
the
 Menominee Indians, selected the present site of Neenah as their principal
 village, and erected in 1835-6, a grist-mill, saw-mill, blacksmith shop
and
 block houses, both for the Indians and officers. Col. David Johnson was
 selected as miller, Joseph Jordan and a Mr. Hunter, blacksmiths, two
 brothers by the name of Gregory, as clergyman and teacher. This
 was the beginning of the settlement of Neenah.
   In 1844, Harrison Reed purchased 562 acres of land, which included
 building lumber, etc. He brought his family in 1844, and with them came
 Charles Wescott and Gil Brooks; George Mansur came in 1843, from
 Buffalo; Gov. Doty came in 1845, and built a log house on the island.
  Next came G. P. Vining and George Harlow; Ira Baird and wife came in
 December, 1845; followed the next year by Rev. 0. P. Clinton, elsewhere
 mentioned. In March, 1846, James Ladd, Samuel Mittell and L. S.
 Wheatley came and settled in and about Neenah. Harvey Jones, accom-
 panied by his son Gilbert, and Royal Jones, Asa Jones, Yale and Nelson
 Danforth soon followed.
      Among the new comers of 1846, were Lucius A. Donaldson, Cornelius
 Northrop, Corydon Northrop, Philip Brien and Milton Huxley, with their
 families. John F. Johnson. Henry C. Finch, Stephen Hartwell. A. B.
 Brien, and one Jensen, and Smith, Moores, and the Kimberleys came later.
 In September, 1847, the first village plat was recorded by Harrison Reed,
 proprietor. The same year, by an act of the legislature, a company was
 chartered, consisting of Gov. Doty and son Charles, Curtis Reed, Harrison
 Reed and Harvey Jones, with authority to construct a dam.
    In 1847, Jones & Yale opened a stock of goods in one of the block
houses,
 which was probably the first store. Kimberleys next opened a store in the
  house of Benj. Paddock.
   Donaldson, Lajest & Co. established the manufacturing enterprise on
the
  water power near where Patten's mills were afterward built. After this,
the
  village rapidly increased in population, wealth and business importance.
In
  1873, it was incorporated as a city, and Edward Smith elected first mayor.
  The abundance of water power has made it one of the greatest manufacturing
 cities in the state. Its flouring mills, paper mills, sash and door factories,
  hub and spoke, wooden ware factories, etc., together with the splendid
  shipping facilities, have combined to make one of the thriving manufac-
 turing cities of the northwest.
      Menasha was so named by the wife of Gov. Doty. Harrison and Curtis
Reed were associated with Gov. Doty in the construction of a dam, a
charter for which had been granted by the legislature, March 10, 1848.
   In 1848, Harrison Reed erected a log house near the head of the canal,
in
which Clark Knight kept tavern. Later in the year, Mr. Reed built
another log house, which he occupied as a store. Cornelius Northrup had
previously erected a slab house that stood in what is now Milwaukee street.
   Before the close of the year, says Mr. W. N. Webster, Philo Hine, George
 Stickles, Thomas and William Brotherhood, Henry C. Tate, I. M. Naricong,
William Geer, J. H. Trude, Uriah Clinton, Henry Alden, John B.
 Lajest and Jeremiah Hunt, had settled here. The latter, and some of the
 others had brought their families. Elbridge Smith also came in October,
 and immediately commenced the erection of the first frame building, situ-
ated on Canal street, and which was so far completed at Christmas, that a
 dance was held within its walls."
    "In 1849, the census of Menasha was increased by the arrival of
A. D.
 Page, S. L. Hart, Ed O'Connel, William Hughes, Henry Axtel, Abel Keyes,
  L. A. Donaldson, Lyman Fargo, Jos. W. Thomas, J. A. Sanford, W. P.
  Rounds and Ed Decker.
      "This year the first mill was commenced, a saw-mill, built by
C. Northrup
 and Harrison Reed, was completed in 1850. The first village plat was 
recorded in May, 1849, Charles Doty, proprietor."
   During the year, a strife arose between the citizens of Neenah and 
Menasha as to the location of the state canal, but through the liberality
of 
Curtis Reed, Menasha secured the prize.
   Mr. Webster further says:
  John McCune engaged in trade this season, 1849, with a stock of general
  merchandise.
    In the fall of the same year a postoffice was established, and James
R.
 Lush, appointed postmaster.
 Menasha was incorporated as a village, by the legislature of I853, and
 chartered as a city, March 5, 1874.
  A machine shop and foundry was erected by Fargo & Thombs in 1850.
S. S. Roby, a merchant, and Hon. John Potter, the first lawyer, came
 the same year. Charles Roeser opened a grocery store on Tyco street, and
 I. C. Eldridge & sons established the first furniture factory. Smith
&
 Doane opned another store the same year and Beckwith, Sanford & Billings
commenced the erection of a pail and tub factory.
  Among others who deserve mention, are Joseph  Keyes & Son, Carlton
&
 C. B. Bachelder, Camerom & Taylor, 'Billy " Smith, Joseph Dudler,
M.
 Burroughs, Adler & St. John, Ed. Lull, Thomas Price, Armstrong &
Stickles, L. B. McKinnon, E.D. Smith.
   From this beginning, the little village has grown into a thriving 
manufacturing city of perhaps 5,000 people.
  Omro is beautifully situated on the upper Fox in the town of the same,
name. It is surrounded by a very rich agricultural district, and has the,
advantage of shipping facilities provided by the river and a branch of the
M. & St. P. R. R. [Milwaukee & St. Paul Rialroad] David Hume built
a house
on the present site of the village in 1847 
and became the first settler of the place. Nelson Beckwith
and W. C.Dean erected a saw-mill on the site of the old woolen-mill. They
severed connection in a short time and the latter in partnership with J.V.
Taylor, and the former by, himself, soon had in operation two mills. The
village soon received accession in the persons of Col. Tuttle, D. McAllister,
Andrew Wilson, L. O. E. Manning, A. Corfee, William Hammond, Mr. Peck
and John Wilson, and thus the foundation of what is now a flourishing 
village of 2,000 people, was laid.
  Winneconne.- Jeremiah Prichett settled on the present site of Winneconne
 in 1847. His log cabin and the one built by the government for the
residence of a blacksmith for the Indians, were the only buildings at the
time of the coming of C. R. Hamlin, who remodeled the government cabin
in which he kept tavern. John Scott and H. C. Rogers opened stores in
1849. The following year a post-office was established and a churn-factory
by C. Mumbrue, and a saw-mill by Hyde Bros. erected. The village now
contains a population of about 1,800.
  Other Villages of the County. - Buttes des Morts, on the lake by the
same name, is the oldest settlement in Winnebago county. Was for
many years a place of considerable business importance, but at present
aside from being the scene of some important historical events of the days
of French and Indian occupation, it amounts to but little.
  The early business importance of Waukau, a village situated on Rush
Lake in the town of Rushford, was largely due to the location of the large
grist-mill erected in 1850 by Parsons & Bocker. It had a steady growth
and now has a population of several hundred and is a fair business point.
  Eureka is situated on the upper Fox in Rushford township, about three
miles northwest of Waukau. It is a steamboat landing and has several
mills, stores, shops, etc.
  Delhi, an early French trading-post, was situated on the Fox three miles,
below Eureka. The plat was recorded under the proprietorship of Luke
Laborde in January, 1851. At present there is no evidence of its former
greatness, it having long since been abandoned.
  Organization of County and Townships.- The county was set off
from Brown by an act of the legislature January 6, 1840, and was bounded
as follows: North, by the north line of township 20; east, by the line 
dividing ranges 17 and 18, extending through Lake Winnebago; south, by
the north line of township 16, extending into the lake until it intersects
the aforesaid line, and west by lines dividing ranges 13 and 14.
  Nathaniel Perry, Robert Grignon and Morgan L. Martin, were by the
same act appointed commissioners to locate the county seat. In 1839,
while the territory of Winnebago was yet unorganized into a county, a
town was organized under the name of Winnebago and another under the
name of Buttes des Morts, andl elections ordered held at the houses of
N. Perry and Webster Stanley, respectively.  February 18, 1843, an
act was approved organizing the county of Winnebago.  In April, of the
same year, the town of Wininebago was made to embrace all the territory
of the county. The board of county supervisors met at the house of
Webster Stanley May 1. 1843, William C. Isbell, chairman, and Chester
Ford, supervisor. The first county election was held the fourth Monday
in September, 1844. February, 22, 1845, an act was passed providing for
the election of three commissioners to locate the seat of justice of 
Winnebago county; Robert Grignon, Clark Dickenson and Harrison Reed were
selected and held their first meeting at the house of Webster Stanley.
Numerous propositions for the donation of land were received, but the
county seat was not permanently located until March 24, 1847, when the
proposition of L. M. Miller and S. A. Wolcott was accepted and the county
seat located as at present.
  The first regular term of court was held October 16, 1848, at the village
school-house in Oshkosh. Present, A. W. Stowe, chief justice; N. P.
Tuttle, sheriff; Edward Eastman, clerk of the late district court. The
following persons appeared and were sworn as grand jurors: Benjamin
Strong, Theodore Pillsbury, Samuel Clough, Barna Haskell, Henry C.
Finch, Irvin (Erwin) Heath, Luther M. Parsons, Josiah Woodworth, J. L.
Schooley, John Monroe, A. H. Green, James Woodruff, Eli Stilson, 
William Luckey, David Chamberlain, W. N. Moulthrop, and John Nelson.
  Under the act of February 8, 1847, before mentioned, the first courthouse
was erected by a subscription of the citizens, and so far completed
that a term of court convened therein April 9, 1849. This building was
erected on the present court-house square. August 28, 1848, a resolution
was passed by the county board, appropriating $300 from the county treasury
for building a jail; provided, the people of the town of Winnebago
shall raise $200 for the same purpose; said jail to be built of oak timber,
the walls and floor to be twelve inches thick, fourteen feet wide by twenty-
eight feet long, and not less than ten feet between joists. It was voted
that Albert G. Lull be employed to superintend the building of the jail,
and instructed to let the contract to the lowest bidder. The contract was
let to Kendrick Kimball, and the jail completed and accepted February 5,
1850.
A second county building was completed in 1854 at a cost of $1,885.
Markham & Dexter were the contractors. The third and present county
building was contracted for March 25, 1859, and was completed the same
year at a cost of $19,680.60.
The railroads of Wiiinebago county furnish the shippers almost direct
communications with the best markets of the country; they reach almost
every trade centre of the county as may be seen by reference to maps of
county and towns. They were completed as follows: Chicago & Northwestern
to Oshkosh in 1859, and extended to Neenah and Menasha in
January, 1861, and Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul to Winneconne in 1868;
to Oshkosh in 1871; Wisconsin Central in December, 1871; Milwaukee &
Northern to Menasha in 1873, and the Lake Shore & Western in 1880.
                         TOWN ORGANIZATION.
  Oshkosh.- Originally organized as the town of Winnebago, and reorganized
as town of Winnebago in pursuance of act of legislature, February 11,
1847. The first election held in pursuance of act of reorganization, was
on
April 6, 1847. November 10, 1852, by order of the county board, the name
of the town of Winnebago was changed to Oshkosh. By resolution of the
county board, dated July 8, 1856, all that part of township 19, ranges 16
and 17, lying south of the south line of sections 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 and
24,
was taken from the town of Vinland, and attached to the town of Oshkosh,
establishing the boundaries of the latter as they now exist, except such
changes as have resulted from the various limits assigned to the city.
  Neenah.-This town was organized in pursuance of act of territorial
legislature of February 11, 1847. Organic election April 6, 1847.
  Omro.- By act of territorial legislature of February 11, 1847, all of 
townships 18 and 19 in range 15, lying south of Fox river, was set off and
organized as a separate town called Buttes des Morts. This included the
present town of Omro. The organic election was held April 6,1847. On
March 11, 1848, Winneconne was set off, and on March 15, 1849, the name
of Buttes des Morts was changed to Bloomingdale; in 1852 the name of
the town was again changed to Omro by act of the county board.
  Rushford.-This town was organized in pursuance of act of territorial
legislature of February 11, 1847, comprising, in addition to the present
town, the territory now comprised in the towns of Utica and Nepeuskun.
The organic election was held April 5, 1847.
  Nekimi.-This town was organized in pursuance of the act of the legis-
lature of February 11, 1847, under the name of Brighton, and included
what is now Black Wolf. The organic election was held April 5, 1847. In
1850 the name was changed from Brighton to Nekimi by act of the county
board.
  Utica.- The organic election of this town was held April 4, 1848, in pur-
suance of the act of the legislature of March 11, 1848.
  Winneconne.- The organic election of this town was held April 4, 1848,
in pursuance of act of the legislature of March 11, 1848.
County boards were authorized to set off,  organize and change names of
towns by virtue of act passed by the legilature August 2l. 1848.
  Vinland -- Organized by election held April 3 1849, in pursuance of act
of legislature approved March 15,1849.
[page]14


Go up to Top of Page