Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
Youth organizations, pp. 451-459 ff. PDF (2.8 MB)
A HISTORY OF NEENAH ton's Day Camp. Twin Lakes Camp was rented by the Neenah- Menasha Council of Girl Scouts for established camping the summer of 1945. In six years Girl Scouting in the Twin Cities had grown from one adult and 24 girls to 14o adults and 450 girls. A merger of the Appleton and Neenah-Menasha Councils of Girl Scouts was proposed in 1946. Believing that the Girl Scout organiza- tions of Neenah, Menasha and Appleton should work together more closely and realizing the greater benefit which girls in the area would reap under a combined organization, the Councils voted to merge in March of 1946. The merger proposed that the two organizations merge and a new area Council be elected to serve all three cities, each city to be represented equally on the new council; that Chalk Hills Camp be used by Scouts from all three cities, that one experienced Executive Secretary be employed to serve the three cities, with one field worker assisting her. Miss Esther E. Pickles was named new Executive Secre- tary of the Appleton-Neenah-Menasha Girl Scout Council. In 1947 Kaukauna and Kimberly became a part of this jurisdiction and the whole new Council became known as the Fox River Area Girl Scout Council. The elected officers of the Board of Directors were: Mrs. Frank Biederman, Commissioner; Mrs. J. M. Holderby, ist Deputy; Mrs. Bazil McKenzie, Treasurer; Mrs. R. N. LeVee, Secretary. Miss Joan Hickey was employed as the first Field Director of the Fox River Area Girl Scout Council. Girl Scout membership in the new Council grew by leaps and bounds. There were now 1283 girls in Neenah-Menasha, Appleton, Kaukauna and Kimberly, enjoying a happy Girl Scout experience of camping, community service, fun and adventure in the eleven program fields of interest. Day Camping was made available once again in 1949 and 1950 for all of the Brownies and Intermediates, at Telulah Park in Appleton, with a goal in mind that some day the Council could own and operate its own Day & Troop Camp, and thereby offer a progressive program of camping to more girls. That goal became a reality in 1954 when a beautifully wooded 40 acre campsite, located in the city limits of Kaukauna, was purchased by the Fox River Area Girl Scout Council. 458
This image may be copied freely by individuals, educational institutions, and libraries for personal use, research, teaching, or any 'fair use' as defined by U.S. copyright laws. Please include the following statement with any copies you make: 'Photograph courtesy of the Neenah Public Library.'