Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
Youth organizations, pp. 451-459 ff. PDF (2.8 MB)
A HISTORY OF NEENAH From a half dozen boys on the steps of old Michelson Hall in the fall of 1899, has come the Boys' Brigade that has carried on in these Twin Cities for more than 58 years. When the Neenah Boys' Brigade began its life, there were no similar organizations for boys in this area. It antedated the Boy Scouts, which came into being in Britain prior to World War I, and appeared in the United States shortly thereafter. Progressing steadily during the ups and downs of the past half-cen- tury, the Boys' Brigade has been a demonstration of the vitality of voluntary and unpaid leadership. Boy Scouting WHILE some activity in Boy Scouting commenced in the Twin Cities soon after its introduction to the United States in 19i1, no records exist of that activity. Among the oldest local troops still in existence today are those at St. Thomas Episcopal Church and the Congrega- tional Church. The former, Troop 3, was formed in 1921. The Troop Committee consisted of A. E. Arnemann, James C. Kimberly, and Rev. U. E. Gibson; and the Scoutmaster was Raymond E. Heron. Charter members were: Harold Arnemann, Kenneth Asmus, Emery Blenker, Floyd Burrows, Roy Casperson, Howard Christofferson, Roy Darling, Tom Darling, Kenneth Dean, Winfred Fenske, Urban Gibson, Earl Gonion, Maurice Hall, Neal Klausner, Kendall Leudtka, Alfred Moore, Franklin Otis, Robert Schwartz, and Henry Stowe. Troop 14 at the Congregational Church was formed in 1926. Its first Troop Committee included H. M. Northrup, E. H. Schultz and Rev. John Best with John C. Lloyd as Scoutmaster. Charter members were: Alan Adams, Evan Blount, Lyle Cornish, Leslie Dietz, Harold Kuester, Karl Kloepfel, George Prosser, and Frank Robinson. The Valley Council was organized in June of 1920 with the Appleton Rotary Club making application for its registration. Neenah and Menasha became part of the Council in 1923. The first Council camp- site was provided with the purchase of Camp Chicagami at the north end of Lake Winnebago in 1927. The site of our present camp at Gardner Dam was given to the Valley Council in 1933 by the Wiscon- 4s6
This image may be copied freely by individuals, educational institutions, and libraries for personal use, research, teaching, or any 'fair use' as defined by U.S. copyright laws. Please include the following statement with any copies you make: 'Photograph courtesy of the Neenah Public Library.'