Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
Youth organizations, pp. 451-459 ff. PDF (2.8 MB)
YOUTH ORGANIZATIONS Not only has Onaway been the site of the Brigade's annual camps ever since, but an abiding love for Camp Onaway has taken root in the hearts of an untold number of local boys. This love and loyalty was demonstrated during the summer of 1955, when an out-of-door chapel was planned and financed by "Old Boys" who in their boyhood days had camped there. IN'IERNATIONAL CAMPs-During the summer of 1952, one leader and three older boys represented the Neenah Company at an international camp in Denmark. Again, in 1954, two leaders and four boys attended a ten-day international encampment of Boys' Brigades on the playing fields of Eton, in England. Here, as in Denmark, enduring friendships were formed with boys from the far places of the earth. Our boys came back from these international gatherings wondering why the United Nations couldn't be conducted on the high level of understanding and international friendship that prevailed in the camps. Still another Brigade International Camp in Jamaica is listed for April, 1958, recognizing the 75th anniversary of the organization, to which the local Brigade expects to send ten boys and three leaders. LEADERSHIP-The first captain, chosen by Dr. Chapin, was Vernon Holden. Following Frank Shattuck as captain, Harry Thomas tempo- rarily took over. During World War I, Waldemar Bergstrom and Ern- est Draheim carried on, succeeded by Leo Schubart, upon his return from overseas. Then came, in line of succession, Lyall Stilp, Paul Stacker, Howard Neubauer, Howard Angermeyer, Chester Witten- born, and, presently, Gordon Altenhofen. Space does not permit mention of the hundreds of men and older boys who have served in the expanding program of the Brigade through the years. In 1955-56, 58 men, plus older boys, constituted the leadership staff; 333 boys from the 6th grade through senior year in high school were enrolled. By 1951 the burden of detail on volunteer leadership became so heavy, that Jack Casper was employed as program coordinator, with office in the Brigade building on South Commercial Street, now in the new quarters on Columbian Avenue. 455
This image may be copied freely by individuals, educational institutions, and libraries for personal use, research, teaching, or any 'fair use' as defined by U.S. copyright laws. Please include the following statement with any copies you make: 'Photograph courtesy of the Neenah Public Library.'