Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
Community Council, p. 229 PDF (180.6 KB)
COMMUNITY COUNCIL ON JANUARY 8, 1940, the first meeting of the Council of Social Agen- cies was held. Over forty organizations were represented and meetings were to be held each month. The officers elected were: Rev. A. A. Chambers, Chairman A. J. Armstrong, Ist Vice Chairman Rev. W. L. Harms, 2nd Vice Chairman Miss Virginia Beals, Secretary 1'. D. Spaulding, Treasurer Members of the Executive Committee: Rev. Joseph Ahearn H. M. Bishop Rev. Gerald Churchill Mrs. Ruth Falvey Miss Edna Robertson Gaylord C. Loehning C. H. Abel At this time its main purpose was to assist welfare and social work- ers interested in community welfare, and to promote a closer harmony among the member organizations. In 1951 it became a Community Chest agency. The main purpose of the Council is to look at the Community as a whole, and to endeav- or to coordinate the work of existing agencies. It tries to eliminate duplication of effort and stimulate preventative health measures by education, coordinated planning and thinking. In 1953 the name was changed to Neenah-Menasha Community Council. Compiled by Mrs. W. B. Be/lack 229
This image may be copied freely by individuals, educational institutions, and libraries for personal use, research, teaching, or any 'fair use' as defined by U.S. copyright laws. Please include the following statement with any copies you make: 'Photograph courtesy of the Neenah Public Library.'