University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
(1958)

City administration,   pp. 213-219 PDF (1.8 MB)


Page 218


A HISTORY OF NEENAH
Police Department
WHENEVER a community is formed, such is the way of human beings
that law enforcement must be considered among their first thoughts
of city administration. Neenah was no exception-the charter of
Neenah in 1873 provided for a Chief of Police at a yearly salary not to
exceed $7oo. The Chief was appointed for a term of one year. Follow-
ing is a roster of Chiefs of Police of the City of Neenah:
   James McGinn      1878           Peter D. Kraby    1898
   Thomas Sherry     1879-I881      Charles H. Watts  1899-1900
   Ephraim Giddings  1882           James W. Brown    1901-1905
   George W. Sawyer  1883-1887      Charles Blank     I9O6- 1907
   A. F. Haertl      I888           James W. Brown    1908-1910
   George W. Sawyer  1889           James W. Brown    191 O-916
   George F. Thompson 189o-I891      (first appointed under newly-formed
   George N. Jorgensen 1892-1893     Commission)
   John Peterson     1894-1895      Charles H. Watts  1916-1940
   Charles H. Watts  1896-1897      Irving Stilp      1940-
   In I909, through the efforts of Dr. James R. Barnett, Sr., a citizen
of Neenah, then a member of the state assembly, a law creating Police
and Fire Commissions in fourth class cities was passed by the state
legislature. In conformity with this law, Mayor J. N. Stone appointed
the first commission, consisting of Thomas Kelly, President; George
A. Jagerson, Peter J. Ladd, Harry Ballou, Louis Swane, and James P.
Keating, Secretary and Examiner of the Board. This commission
appointed James W. Brown as Chief of Police on June 27, I91o. Mr.
Brown continued until March, 1916. The first force comprised three
members, one of whom was Harry Holverson, who served for thirty
years, until his retirement. Henry Bando. Henry Burr, Ben LeRoy
and Peter Carlson, an ex-sheriff, were also early members of the force.
  On May i8, 1916, Charles H. Watts was appointed Chief of Police,
holding this office until June I, 1940. Upon his retirement, Irving Stilp
was appointed Chief, which office he holds to the present date.
  From a simple system of the policeman on the corner, to a complex
system of nationwide communication, our law enforcement depart-
ment has kept pace, in spite of shockingly inadequate space and facili-
ties.
218


Go up to Top of Page