Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah
The 1920's, pp. 97- PDF (2.5 MB)
THE 1920'S C. B. Clark in 1922, and, with other individuals, added to the gift to increase the size of the recreation center. The park was formally dedi- cated in 1928, after dredging of the lagoon had been completed. An out-of-door dramatic production, "Prunella," directed by Miss Ruth Dieckhoff, signalized the opening of this beauty spot to the public. It was from this performance that the Winnebago Players took off, and for several years put on outstanding productions in the parks of Neenah and Menasha. The year also marked the purchase by the National Manufacturers' Bank of the site on which stood the historic Russell House. Razing of the hotel to make room for the present banking edifice was com- pleted, and the new building occupied on June I5, 1923. The costly Baptist Church fire occurred in 1922, but the building was promptly restored. In 1925 the name of the church was changed to "Whiting Memorial Baptist Church," further gifts having been made by the late George A. Whiting to the church. The Edgewater Paper Company, located in Menasha as a convert- ing mill, in 1922 installed a machine for the manufacture of duplexed waterproof papers. ,Neenah's Disastrous Sleet Storm Many Twin City residents can recall the disastrous sleet storm which struck the valley shortly before dawn of February 22, 1922, tearing down power and communication lines and all but isolating Neenah and Menasha for the better part of a week. Trees still bear the scars of the unprecedented ice deluge. Radio was then in its infancy, and all messages sent on the "air" waves were in code. Quinn Bros., pioneers in the retail radio field, im- provised a station on the top floor of the Bergstrom Paper Company mill, and made this city's first post-storm contact with the outside world. The station was established in the Bergstrom Mill, because its own power plant furnished the alternating current necessary to oper- ate the radio transmitters. The station continued in operation for six days, its time being chiefly devoted to coding orders to railroads for coal for Twin City industries, and dispatching trains. Permission for temporary operation of the station on a commercial basis was obtained 99
This image may be copied freely by individuals, educational institutions, and libraries for personal use, research, teaching, or any 'fair use' as defined by U.S. copyright laws. Please include the following statement with any copies you make: 'Photograph courtesy of the Neenah Public Library.'