University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Shattuck, S. F., et. al (ed.) / A history of Neenah

The 1840's to 1860's inclusive,   pp. 13-20 PDF (2.0 MB)

Page 20

Avenue and io6 North Commercial Street. The furniture department
was conducted by W. H. Krueger, and was discontinued upon his
death in 1940. The business now includes hardware, industrial sup-
plies, appliances, housewares, sporting goods, toys and gifts. James
Webb is President and Treasurer; Laura Barnett Webb (grand-
daughter of the founder) is Vice President; and James Barnett Webb
(great-grandson of the founder) is Secretary. Present address is lo7
West Wisconsin Avenue.
The Cooper Trade
  Mr. Cunningham refers on page 86 of his history to Brown's Stave
Works. This enterprise, started by Theodore Brown in i86o, is shown
on an artist's perspective of Neenah in 1870. (See page .34.) It stood
on the south side of the river just east of the present Oak Street bridge.
Mrs. Dan Howman, a descendent of Theodore Brown, tells how her
father, John Brown, and the late Henry Hoeper, learned the cooper
trade back in the days when the manufacture of staves was one of
Neenah's up-and-coming industries.
First Paper Mill
  In 1865 we come to a pivotal turn in the industrial life of the village.
Dr. Nathaniel Robinson, grandfather of Mrs. T. D. Smith, with five
associates, started Neenah's first paper mill. Up to this point the
power canal was lined with grist mills. From here in, flour milling
gradually subsided, as papermaking took over. (This transformation
is adequately covered by Cunningham.)
           "From the pieces of mosaic assembled by historians come
           the great murals which represent the progress of mankind."
                                  -HERBERTr HOOVER

Go up to Top of Page