University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

First Presbyterian Church, Neenah, Wisconsin, 1848-1998; 150 years of mission and ministry

Our Beginnings...,   pp. 2-3

Page 2

7-flThe first pages of the 1848 minute book record the foundingf of 
Sesquicentennial logo designe. 
what would eventually be called First Presbyterian Church in 
Neenah, Wisconsin. The community was then known as 
Winnebago Rapids. 
                   Preliminary Statement 
     The settlement of the Village of Winnebago Rapids was 
commenced in the year 1847. The first village lots were sold in August 
1847. During the Fall of 1847 & summer of 1848 a number of 
Presbyterian families moved in & some efforts were made to procure 
the stated preaching of the word and the ordinances of religion 
according to the faith & order of the Presbyterian Church 
     In August 1848 the Village was visited by the Rev. H. M. 
Robertson a Missionary of the Presbyterian Board of Domestic 
Missions - when the first attempts were made to collect a Presbyte- 
rian Congregation. 
     In the month of Sept. Mr. Robertson began to preach steadily on 
the Sabbath at the house of Loyal H. Jones. The Congregations at first 
were small but increased gradually in size until the house became 
inconveniently crowded. In November the meetings were removed to 
the McCoy school-house which also became crowded. A large Room 
was now fitted up over the store of Jones and Yale capable of seating 
between two and three hundred persons to which the congregation 
removed in December. 
     Application having been made to the Presbytery of Wisconsin to 
organize a church here Rev. Thomas Frasier & Rev. Elias S. Peck 
having been appointed a committee for that purpose, visited the place 
on the 14th of December 1848 in compliance with their appointments 
as the following records will show. 
bv Stuart McCutcheon 

Go up to Top of Page