University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Brainerd, A. (ed.) / Madison city directory and business advertiser, for 1871-2, containing the name and residence of all independent persons, a business directory and sketch of the city, with information in relation to its various societies and institutions--city, county and other public officers
(1870)

Historical view,   pp. [5]-8 PDF (805.7 KB)


Page 6


MADISON CITY DIRECTORY.
board of aldermen elected-three in each ward-being twelve in
number. At about this time seems to have been the real begining
of Madison, noL only private dwellings of fine architecture were erect
ed, but numerous stone and brick blocks were built, beyond the im-
mediate want just at this time. The corner stones of severr'l
churches were laid, whose spires in a brief length of time prompted
the minds of all to their places of worship ; several manufactories
were started.  Hotels of prominence and value took the place of
those erected for temporary utility
  A railroad was being built from  Milwaukee, (now   thb  Mil-
waukee and St. Paul railroad, extending to the Mississippi river,)
which reached this place in 1854.  The railroad bridge across
lake Monona, which had been begun the previous year was com-
pleted in the spring, and in May the first train of cars came into
the city-and the outlet of Madison by railroad was celebrated
with great enthusiasm.  A gas company was formed and gas works
erected, and seen the gas was conducted over the whole city, prov-
ing a successful and remunerative enterprise.
  The public grounds, in the center of which stands the State Capi-
tol, occupies the center of the city of an area of about ten acres,
containing a large number of shade trees of various kinds.
  The capitol stands to the cardinal points, the diameter from north
to south being two hu-dred and fifty feet, and from east to west,
two hundred seventy-five feet. Its extreme height, two hundred and
twenty-one feet.
  The building is composed of four wings.  On the first floor, the
east wing is occupied by the executive department and secretary of
state.  West wing, the horticultural rooms and offices of bank
comptroller and adjutant general. The north wing, state treasurer's
office and state land department.  The south wing, attorney gen-
eral's office and offices of the superintendent of public property and
public instruction.  The second floor, the east wing is occupied as
the state senate chamber, the west wing, as the assembly chamber,
the north wing, the state library rooms and the supreme court.
  The south wing, the ilistoreal rooms. On the third floor, in the
south wing only the roams are used for miscellaneous purposes.
6


Go up to Top of Page