University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Haag, Rita / If you look back, it's not that far: memories of Mary Stella Sutter Haag recorded at age 103

Part III: Life as Mrs. Albert Haag,   pp. 36-64 PDF (9.2 MB)

Page 37

Mary didn't mind chores. Working outside suited her fine.
"Oh ya, I liked it. He had to go thrashing lot a times and (he)
hitched up the horses and went out and he didn't get home 'til
milking time. And he'd have to go for the corn for the hogs you
know. They had to have feed in the evening.   We just went on
like that.
"It was hard work and everything, but these little spats
came up and you'd just get over that. Nowadays they don't do
that..anything that turns up.. they can't take it. It wasn't
right for (us--to leave or give up) and we knew that.  We were
together, we stayed together. That's what I don't like about
now. It's different. Now they got their movie or something
after school. And when our kids grew up, too, there was lot of
times we didn't have a car. Sometimes they'd go, but when we'd
tell them they had to be home about midnight, they were home.
"We had chickens and they had clucks, you know. They'd lay
so long and then they'd get in a brood. They'd sit in the nest--
you couldn't hardly move them. So we'd put about 12, 13 eggs
under them if it was a big hen. And of course, some of them,
they took care of them and some of them, they broke half of the
eggs. Some of them had 12 chicks. We'd put them in a box and
leave them for about four or five days. Then we'd (let) them out
of the box, and she'd teach them to go out and come back in.
"We had about 80 or 90. Just enough so we had eggs. The
roosters, we'd raise and kill them and eat them. We'd sell the
eggs but sometimes you'd only get ten cents a dozen. We took
them to the store in Forward. We only lived a mile from the
store. We usually got our groceries there. We went to Mt. Horeb
too, but that was about ten miles.
"We had hogs, too and when the children got older we'd
butcher about six at a time for the winter, then we'd cure the
hams. We'd put them in salt water for about six weeks. Warm
salt water that carries an egg. You know when it's real strong
it carries an egg. When that was cured we'd smoke them and pack
"The first years we'd pack them in oats to keep the air off
of them. Then if it got too moldy we'd have to cut that off and
there was too much waste. (Later) we'd put them in plastic bags.
Sometimes we'd can some of it. We'd can beef and pork and
venison. We started canning when Art was a baby. Mrs. Disrud

Go up to Top of Page