Owen's Janesville city, Rock County gazetteer, and directory: containing a complete city directory of Janesville; an alphabetical directory of the farmers and land owners of Rock County; also, a classified business directory, to which is added historical and descriptive sketches of Janesville, Beloit, Evansville, Edgerton, Milton, Milton Junction, Clinton Junction, Footville, Hanover, Emerald Grove, and other towns in the county
Commercial review, pp. 31-
32 Owen's Janesville City Directory. Janesville Shoe Manutacturing Company, Conms next, who are engaged in the maunature of Ladies' an4 hil- dren'. Shoes. This establishment is run by uteam, and employs Aft hands. We understand that the work which they turn out ranks &vol able with any other similar establishment in the Union. Janesville Pickling and Preserving Company. Capt. Macloon, President, A. J. Russell, Superintendent, has recently been started, and through the exertions of the energetio superintendent hau become a success and a first class branch of industry. Hardware, Stoves, Tinware, &a. Among the first whom we desire to mention in this department of our work is the large, oommodious and well-managed establishment of JoRN GWmis, who first settled here in 1880, and embarked in bust- ness for himself in 182e, since which time Mr. Griffiths has been thor- oughly identified with the commercial interests of Janesville. He is in fact the imbodiment of a self-made man. His store, situated A No. 1, West Milwaukee street, is one of the largest and bast stooked of any house west of Chicago or Milwaukee, embracing Hardware, Stoves, Tinware, Agricultural Implement&, and House Furnishmi Goods. Also, manufacturer of Tin, Oopper and Sheet Iron Wkodk Roofing and Eavestroughs. Among the leading stoves sold by Mr. Grlths may be mentioned the $Crown Jewell," American Bae Burn- er," "New Superior Coal Heatinq," "Vindiostor" and "Homestead" Oook Stoves. Also, ho makes a specialty of the Return Flue Wood Stove, "Maple," which cannot be excelled for beauty, economy, and durability. Another leading house in this branch of business is the establish- ment of G. W. Hanohett, No. 25, North Main street, who, althonh only recently embarked upon the vacillating sea of mercantle lie is already recognised as a thorough business man, who keeps a first olass stock of Stoves, Builders' and Carpenters,' Hardware Outlery, and everything appertaining to a well ordered Hardwam Store. Oonsult his advertisement in the pages of this work.
Based on date of publication, this material is presumed to be in the public domain.| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright