University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Kinney, Thomas P. / Irish settlers of Fitchburg, Wisconsin, 1840-1860
(1993)

Stoner Prairie settlement,   pp. 56-61 PDF (2.1 MB)


Page 58

The "upright" part of the Edward and Ellen Byrne house was constructed with
lumber from the 1857 St. Mary's Catholic Church, which was dismantled after a
new church was built in Oregon in 1886. The Byrne house staircase was made
from the old choir loft stairs, and the bannister incorporated part of the com-
munion rail. The Byrne house is located on Whalen Road hill, southeast of
Stoner Prairie. Photo taken in 1890's.
school section in about 1851. Moses emigrated from Ireland in
1849. He was employed on a farm near the present day Whit-
ney Way and Mineral Point Road intersection in Madison. He
married Maria Nolan in January, 1851, in the third wedding to
be recorded at St. Raphael's Church in Madison.121
To the south of the school section homesteads of the
Sweeneys, Byrnes, and Lacys was the James and Mary Whalen
farm. James Whalen came from a long-time Johnston, New
York, family who spelled their name "Whelan." His great-great-
uncle, Rev. Charles Whelan, fought in the American Revolution
with LaFayette's army Rev. Whelan, who was a Capuchin,
established the first Catholic church in New York City in 1785,
where St. Peter's stands today on Barclay Street.22
While the Whalens were starting a homestead in the Irish
settlement on the eastern part of Stoner Prairie, the prairie's
western part, better known for its early Vroman and Stoner
farms, had only one Irish family living on it in 1860-the
James and Mary Grady family. The Gradys lived on Lacy Road
a half-mile west of the Seminole Highway stage road. A relative
of this family, Martin Grady, came from Glandree Seakle,
County Clare, Ireland, and began farming on Stoner Prairie
in the 1900's.23


Go up to Top of Page