University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Terrill, John M. / Ladysmith lore: a photo album
(1986?)

[Photo album],   pp. 3-64 ff.


Page 54

The Ladysmith Cooperative Creamery was organized in 1912. Butter was made in this plant on the southwest comer of Miner Avenue and W.
Third Street. It was marketed under the name Cloverleaf Creamery Butter. Ralph Goldsmith was manager. Sales increased from $27,000 in 1915 to
$73,000 in 1917. The building later was used as an automobile garage.
The Ladysmith Milk Producers' Cooperative Assn. built this brick building on E. Worden Avenue in 1927 and it was dedicated in 1928. The
creamery made the famous Flambeau Land Butter. The butter was shipped out to distant markets in refrigerated rail cars called reefers. Painting on
the sides of the trucks pictured advertise Flambeau Land Butter. A larger creamery building was built. The creamery closed in 1970.


Go up to Top of Page