Antenne, Katharine Leary / A saga of furs, forests and farms : a history of Rice Lake and vicinity from the time of its first inhabitants : the Indian mound builders to the turn of the 20th century
(1955 (1987 reprint))
Chapter X: pioneers and Indians, pp. 31-32
started a few miles south of Cumberland. They had been en- gaged in railroad construction and after its completion settled on small farms. Among the names in the first census are: Casper Rosbach, 34, farmer, Mecklenburg; Ole K. Larson, 23, logger, Norway; John Quaderer, farmer, Austria; Henry Ashlen, 26, logger, Canada; Wm. McAuley, 56, boss in camp, Scotland; W. S. Grover, 38, farmer, Maine; Benjamin Kellogg, 40, farmer, New York; August Rhomheild, 30, farmer, Saxony; Frank Malay, 20, logger, Ireland; A. C. Knutson, 18, cook, Norway; Andrew Nelson, 22, cook, Norway; A. Thompson. 24, logger, Norway; John O'Neil, 26, farmer, Ireland. Also listed in the first census were the pioneers of what is now known as Dobie. The French settlement, as it was called, was the first agricultural settlement in this part of the county. French and Irish Its pioneers were John LeBrie, sr., John LeBrie, jr., Charles Amans, Henry Demers and Cyrille (Sevil) Demers. They had come from Canada to Rice Lake by way of Missouri. The French settlement was adjoined on the north by an Irish one, in 1870, started by four bachelors, Michael Donnelly, Michael Dooker, Michael Rilley and James Russell. The Barron county history records that "alone as they were, they found their diversion in visiting the French settlement." It is not hard to imagine the feelings of the wives and mothers of these pioneers, especially those in the isolated cabins, when winter came and the men and older boys made for the woods. Wild animals ranged the forest, neighbors were far away, often provisions ran low, Indians were sometimes in the neighborhood, sometimes there was illness and even death. The Indians belonging to the Court Oreilles reservation camped near many of the lumber camps throughout the county for many years after the county was opened. Some of them were related to the lumbermen by marriage, for such prominent leaders as Capt. Tainter, John Quaderer and others had married Indian women. But as the farms increased and there were more lonely cabins in which the women and children were alone in the winter, many of the whites felt it wise for the Indians to be moved. As a result, in 1878, the county board requested the Department of the Interior to remove the Indians to their reservation. At the time there were only three voting Indians in the county, two homesteaders and one a free holder. So gradually the Indian bands were removed to the reservation, and their old hunting grounds were converted into rich farms.
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright