Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
Chapter XXI: Miscellany, pp. 227-246 ff.
HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY 8 at the intersection of Twelfth Avenue and Sixth Street. Its pipe organ (soon to be discarded for a new one) is now in service, at St. Paul's Evangelical church at the corner of Eleventh Avenue and Ninth Street in this city, but the whereabouts of its fount is not known. The church was built and owned by Capt. William Wilson. The county school main building and its adjacent special buiidings in which are located the county training school for teachers of the common schools, the county school of agriculture, and domestic economy are situated on the east one- half of block 54. The main building is set well back in its grounds, its north side answers as a front and faces on Wilson Avenue. Back of it on Ninth Avenue is a solid mass of wooden structures that serve the activities of the agricultural depart- ment. This department has its schoolroom in the lower story of the main building. Where now this main building stands was once a dwelling house in which the Rev. John C. Sherwin lived for a few vears. Mr. Sherwin was one of those men who bv nature and nurture was qualified and equipped to go forth as a missionary to the early sojourners on the frontier where lived men and women, for the most part honest of purpose and earnest in the walks of life, but careless of the conventional- ities of society and of the church. He early appeared in the Mississippi River Valley and at an early day made LaCrosse his home. He came here in 1859 and organized the Congregational church. In 1868 he came again and reorganized this church and became its resident pastor until 1874. He moved pleasantly and modestly among all of the people. Under his gentle manners there was a strong and persistent air of purpose which attracted and did not repel. He was a successful hunter and fisherman. He did not alarm nor flush the game. He never scared a school of fish from its secluded hole but quietly caught each fish there. He did not attempt to scare sinners from hell but enticingly beckoned them to heaven. Whether he was called of God is not known, but it is known that he came to the people of the West and that he did much good. Main and Broadway are the principal streets of the city, and all of these school buildings, except those of the Homemakers', are within one and two blocks of these streets, and those excepted, are but two blocks south from Main and four east of Broadway. These sites are now the seats of inculcated learning. Here students by repeated conning of lessons gain a knowledge of the general principles that govern the physical and mental activities of life. These studies are supplemented by manual training, but this training is on lines previously determined upon and specifically worked out in advance for illustration of the texts taught. Before their present use these sites were not fallow ground. On them were then the abodes of men and women who lived here some of the experiences, noted some of the effects and recorded some of the conclusions, that have now become the basis of study and observation in these schools. The knowledge they acquired rested largely on their daily direct contact with the unlooked for, the adventitious events of life. Thev went before and prepared the way for the student throng we now see upon our streets. It mav not, therefore, be amiss at some future time, to recall the names of these pioneers while some still live who knew them in the flesh. Block 76 was always known as school block, but three dwellings were built thereon before the increase in the school ground area. Block 53 had six dwelling houses located on it, when, in 1F97, it was purchased for school purposes. These houses were among the earliest built in the town plat and had in the mutation of home settlement housed many early day families connected with early day local history. Three houses stood on the ground now covered by the domestic science school building and in them lived at different times a number of the early day promi- nent families. Two houses occupied the ground of the county schools. Before the Barwise family occupied the Homemakers' house it was successively the abode of the family of a foreman, a preacher, and a teacher. It was a building early erected on the village plat. Memoir of Peter Jungck.-The author of this memoir, who passed away early 229
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright