University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XX: Unincorporated villages and place names,   pp. 202-226


Page 222

HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY
On the coming of the railroad (1872) several business enterprises were started
here. R. F. Juchtke opened the first store and George A. Gilbert & Bro. a wagon
and blacksmith's shop, which they conducted for a number of years thereafter.
It was not long before a second store was opened by W. R. Culbertson, who was a
merchant in the village for about ten years; and a grain elevator was built, it is
thought by James Hill, though it was owned and operated for many years by Hill,
Kinsey & Moulton. Later it passed to C. F. Freeman & Co., and from them to the
Wisconsin Elevator Co., the later concern selling to A. H. Aldrich & Co. of Roberts,
Wis., who are the present proprietors.
F. R. Ross, the present postmaster, was a merchant here for many years, start-
ing in 1887 and for two years having A. B. Webert as partner. William Beyer
and wife, previously farmers, conducted a hotel in the village from 1876 to about
1887, when they returned to their farm. Nicholas Cook, a German immigrant,
opened a meat market in Rusk in 1889 and operated it for four or five years until
his residence was burned, when he returned to farming, his former occupation.
Edward K. Drayton, a harness maker, arrived here in June, 1877, and several years
later was serving as town clerk,. The 'frm of Zuehlke & Moedy also conducted a
general merchandise business for some years. Others had settled on farm lands in
the vicinity before the village was started, among whom were the following: John
Hause, who took land in Section 20, in 1855; Adelbert C. Sherburne, who settled
in Section 9 in October the same year, and George D. Owen, who came in 1865, and
started a farm in Section 5. J. F. Ronneberger took land in Section 8 in 1876.
These men became successful and wealthy farmers. The Sherburne family was
prominent not only here, but in other parts of Dunn County. A feed mill was
started in the village in 1885 by Nels K. Christensen. Since then it has passed
through several hands and is now owned and operated by J. C. Lee.
For some 15 or 20 years after the village was founded it enjoyed a busy and
prosperous life as a wheat shipping center, and it was no uncommon thing to see as
manv as 100 teams of farmers and buyers here at the same time. Towards the
end of that period the chintz bug made its appearance, which wrought so much
damage in the fields that the farmers stopped raising wheat and went into dairying
instead. They had already-about 1885-started a cooperative creamery, which
became more prosperous with the increase in the amount of dairying, and is now
conducted under the name of The Rusk Creamery Co. Several lumber companies
have done business in Rusk, including the North Star, the Wilson Weber and the
La Pointe Lumber Co., of Mencmonie, the last mentioned now having a yard and
office here. In addition to the interests already mentioned there are in the village
a blacksmith's shop, two garages, and a general store conducted under the name of
the Rusk Co-operative Mercantile Co.
The Rusk post office is of the fourth class and has no rural routes. F. R. Ross,
who came to the village 40 years ago, was postmaster for 20 years and, after an
interval, is again serving, having been reappointed under the Harding administra-
tion.
A Baptist congregation, which was organized March 9, 1895, and is now com-
posed of ten families, has a church about a mile and a half northwest of the village.
Two and a half miles northeast of Rusk is the Catherine Germaii Lutheran Church.
This congregation, now including 50 families, was started in 1876. The present
pastor is the Rev. William A. Baumann, who lives near the church and also serves
a church near Iron Creek.
Sand Creek.-.The village of Sand Creek, situated in Section 13 of the town of
Sand Creek (Township 31, Range 11), and on the Red Cedar River, was surveyed
and platted in July, 1871, the survey and plat being made by W. Weissenfels for
H. P. and Mary J. Graham, Samuel and Clara A. White and Robert and Mary
R. Folles, all of the city of Eau Claire.
Sand Creek is a somewhat retired rural community, the nearest railroad station
being New Auburn on the "Omaha,"~ which is about eight miles to the east and
slightly north, while Ridgeland on the "Soo" lies about 12 miles to the west. Soon
after the platting of the village, or in 1872, a dam across Sand Creek and a flour
222


Go up to Top of Page