University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin

Chapter XX: Unincorporated villages and place names,   pp. 202-226

Page 203

years, and from them it was bought some four or five years ago by the R. E. Jones
Company. Carl Froseth has been manager from the beginning.
The post office is of the fourth class, with one rural route which covers about
28 miles, passing through Rock Falls and to the southeast. Mrs. Alice M1. Plumer
has been postmistress since 1910, having succeeded Mrs. Ann C. Wagner, who had
the office previously for about three years.
Caryville Camp No. 5480, -M. W.A., was started in July, 1899. It has a small
membership and meetings are held but rarely. The Ladies branch, Mayflower
Camp, R. N. A., was organized about 1910 and meets once a month. There is a
district school in the village, and a local telephone company, called the Carville
Telephone Co., of which Geo. B. Plumer is the secretary and treasurer. Near the
village, in Section 2, Town 26 north of Range 11 west, there is a ferry across the
Chippewa River.
Cedar Falls, located in Section 6, town of Red Cedar, and on the Red Cedar
River, which is crossed at this point by a bridge, was settled in 1856. In 1859 a
water-power mill was built here by the Gilbert Brothers from Gilbert's Creek, and
they sold it later to Berry & McCormick, the "Berry" of this firm being Dr. W. A.
Berry, an eve specialist, whose name has been confused by former historians with
that of a Frenchman named Burry, who, if not the first settler here, was at least
a pioneer of the village. Berry & McCormick sold out to Maxwell, McGilton & Co.,
the latter member of which firm, John H. McGilton, was one of the notable pioneers
of Dunn County. He was born in Clinton County, N. Y., in 1825, son of Thomas
and Isabella McGilton of Dublin, Ireland. He emigrated to Canada about 1838, and
came to Dunn County in 1856, settling first in Eau Galle, where he followed the
trade of millwright. It was in 1865 that he came to Cedar Falls and bought a half
interest in the mill property. He also owned 800 acres of land and was elected to
the legislature in 1880.
Maxwell, IcGilton & Co. operated their mill for 10 years and it was then sold
by the sheriff to S. A. Jewett & Co., who disposed of it to Hayley, Pitcher & Co.
The plant was later purchased by the Knapp, Stout & Co. Company, early operators
here, who made additions to it from time to time, and a spur from the "Omaha"
railway was run into the village for freight purposes, and was operated until the
mill closed. In the early 90's, in addition to the lumber mills, there were large
planing and shingle mills, the capacity of the sawmill being about 100,000 feet in a
day of 11 hours. About 100 men were employed and the population of the village
was 250, half of them being Norwegians. Some 25 families belonged to the Scan-
dinavian Evangelical Church, which was served by the Rev. L. Lund of Menomonie,
who visited the place once a month.
James Galdwell, who arrived about 1879, was proprietor for a number of years
of the Cedar Falls house. The three Harrington brothers, Edwin L., George and
John, came to Cedar Falls in 1878 aiid bought land in the village and also on Sher-
burne Prairie. In addition to farming they also, about 1877, built a large stone
building in the village and for four years conducted a store in it, at. the end of which
time they sold to G. W. Horton, wlho had another store, which was run for the bene-
fit of the mill. The Knapp, Stout & Co. Company when they quit in the fall of
1890 sold their store to Oscar Fitch.
In one of the plat books in the courthouse at MIenomonie is the record of a plat
called" Harrington's Addition" to Cedar Falls, though the present editor was unable
to find a copy of the original plat. The History of Northern Wisconsin, published
in 1881, gave the population of Cedar Falls as 50, adding, "The place has a pros-
perous appearance." Ten years later as already shown, it was five times as great.
The glory of the old mills has passed away, together with most of the people, and
the chief object of interest here now is the large dam and power plant built in 1910
and now owned by the Northern States Power Company. There are also at Cedar
Falls a general st'ore, garage, grist mill and a Methodist Episcopal church. The
church is a frame structure with a seating capacity of 113. The congregation was
organized many, years ago when the village was large and prosperous. It is served
every Sunday from Menomonie.

Go up to Top of Page