University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin

Chapter XVIII: City churches and parishes,   pp. 146-163

Page 147

are lacking, it has been found impossible to give a full list of all the pastors who
have served this congregation. Among those who seem to have been pastors here
at an early date were Rev. T. C. Golden, Rev. A. J. Davis, Rev. H. W. Bushnell,
Rev. S. 0. Brown, Rev. G. D. Brown, Rev. John W. Bell, Rev. E. S. Hanens,
Rev. J. McClane and Rev. G. T. Newcome. Some of these may have served later
than some of the following, the approximate time of whose pastorates have been
ascertained, namely: Rev. S. S. Benedict (1870-1879), Rev. John Steele, 1879-
1880), Rev. John B. Bachman (1886), Rev. J. D. Brothers, and Rev. James Evans,
the last named assuming the duties of the pastorate in October, 1890. Among
others who served later were the Revs. Mr. Marcellus, Mr. Beeks, Mr. Emery,
Rev. James Coram and Rev. Mr. Dunn. Then came the Rev. Arthur Dinsdale,
who served two years or more, and, after him, the Rev. James Benson, who served
three or four years. The next pastor was the Rev. W. I. Lowe, and he was suc-
ceeded by the Rev. A. R. Klein, who preached his first sermon here Sept. 6, 1920,
and who is still in charge. In 1922 the church edifice was rebuilt, only a small
part of the original building being utilized. A pipe organ was installed, and on
Sunday, Nov. 19, 1922, the church was rededicated, the Rev. A. R. Klein, D. D.,
presiding, and the dedicatory sermon being preached by Rev. Roy P. Smith of
Simpson M. E. Church, Minneapolis. There was a choir of 30 voices and the new
pipe organ was used for the first time. In the evening the speaker was Rev. Dr.
J. W. Irish of Madison. On Monday evening an organ recital was given by Charles
C. Kirk as a part of the dedicatory exercises. The present membership of Cen-
tenary M. E. Church is 305, but over 500 attend the services. There is a choir
of 30 voices. The Sunday school has an enrollment of 308. There are several
active societies, including: The Woman's Foreign Missionary Society; the Standard
Bearers, a missionary society of young people; the Light Bearers, a missionary
society of younger people; and the Epworth League, which has a membership of
about one hundred. The church has one mission, the Methodist Church at Cedar
Falls. The congregation of this mission is an old one, and, so far as now remem-
bered, has been served from Menomonie from the beginning. The building will
seat 113 and in summer there is a good attendance, the services being held from
9:00 to 10:00 a. m., while in winter they are held in the afternoon. The member-
ship is about thirty.
First Congregational Church.-On Feb. 17, 1861, a meeting of citizens of
Menomonie was held in Newman Hall (known later as the Knapp, Stout & Co.'s
land office) for the purpose of organizing a Congregational church and society.
Lorenzo Bullard was chairman and S. B. French secretary of the meeting, and bv
unanimous vote the society was named "The First Congregational Church ana
Society of Menomonie."  The first members were the Rev. P. Canfield, Mrs. P.
Canfield, H. C. Brunelle, Mrs. Orella Shorev and Mrs. Eliza E. Malcome. Before
a notary public on MNarch 6, at their second meeting, the officers were elected and
steps were taken for the proper organization according to the state laws, and on
March 10, the constitution and by-laws presented were accepted and signed by 23
persons. The church was regularly organized by the Chippewa Valley District
Convention of Ministers and delegates on Dec. 28, 1861, adopting the articles of
faith and covenant taken from the year book of 1859 and held in common by many
churches at that time. The church continued to use Newman Hall until arrange-
ments were made to occupy an old schoolhouse located on Main Street (on the
north half of the Central School grounds) where services were held every other
Sunday, the congregation alternating with the Methodists, and the two societies
having a union Sunday school. Through the generosity of Knapp, Stout & Co.,
a house was built in 1862 for the pastor's use, and was called the Congregational
parsonage. The Rev. Philo Canfield, who had been instrumental in organizing
the church, terminated his pastorate on May 17, 1863, during which time six mem-
bers had been added to it. For 18 months thereafter the people were unable to
hold religious services. However, the Rev. J. C. Sherwin of West Salem, Wis.,
was with them occasionally, and he recommended the Rev. J. p. Ines, who became
pastor here in December, 1864. As Mr. TInes' religious opinions, however, were

Go up to Top of Page