University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
(1925)

Chapter XV: the Stout Institute, memorial building and library,   pp. 117-123


Page 118

HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY
the school children were given free baths and also taught to swim, and here also
for a period the Commercial Club had quarters. Prof. N. J. MacArthur was the
first physical instructor, coming from Toronto, Canada, and launching the work
most successfully. He and his successors have not only instructed the pupils in
the care of their bodies and directed their exercises, but under their tutelage Me-
nomonie High School and the Institute have produced athletic teams that have
added to the reputation of Menomonie institutions through their success in com-
petition with other schools.
In September, 1899, after the organization of the Dunn County School for the
training of teachers for rural school work, it was given quarters in the main build-
ing of the Stout Institute, but in 1902 the county provided a special building for
it, which it shares with the Dunn County School of Agriculture, The history of
these two county schools is sketched in separate articles.
It should be noted that all the developments which had taken place before 1903
were for the boys and girls of the city of Menomonie, and all of the shop and lab-
oritory work was carried on under the public school administration. The year
1903 marked the beginning of the Stout Training Schooi.  which ivere organized
for the purpose of training teachers of manual training, domestic science, and
kindergarten work. In that year Mr. Stout established two schools for this pur-
pose-one for manual training work and the other for domestic science. Subse-
quently a school for home makers was founded for the benefit of girls who desire
to acquire proficiency in the domestic arts but do not intend to pursue professional
work as teachers. the coming of Dr. L. D. Harvey in 1903 was an important
event, not only for the Menomonie public schools, of which he was made superin-
tendent, but more particularly for the Stout schools, the rapid development of
which was due largely to his unusual capacity for organization and leadership.
In September, that year, there were 25 students enrolled in the Training School.
Forty-eight were enrolled the second year, 98 the third year, and in 1908 there
were 197 students enrolled. By 1913 the number had increased to over 500 and
it is now over 600. Summer schools we..- started in 1906.
The Kindergarten department of the Stout Institute grew out of a movement
inaugurated by Mr. Stout in 1899, when he erected kindergarten buildings in con-
nection with the Coddington and North Menomonie schools and equipped rooms
in the Central building for the training of kindergarten teachers. In 1909 the
kindergarten department of the Institure was closed, thereby giving more room to
other departments which needed it badly.
Early in 1908 another important development took place, when the Stout
schools were incorporated and became the Stout Institute. After the death of
Mr. Stout, which took place on Dec. 10, 1910, the Institute was taken over by the
state. In 1913 the state appropriated 8265,000 for new buildings and grounds,
and in the same vear the Building Trades School, costing 850,000, was erected.
The year 1916 saw the erection of the Household Arts Building at a cost of 8200,000.
In addition to these, there are the Industrial Arts Building and the School of Phys-
ical Culture.
While the early development of the work of the school was due largely to the
efforts of Mr. Stout, its later development and progress were brought about by
Dr. Harvey and Mr. Stout's working together. When the school was taken over
bv the state, the work of bringing about legislation providing for appropriations
for the maintenance of the school, and for new buildings and equipment, fell
largely upon Mr. Harvey, and this was always handled in a masterly way. For
many years after coming to 'Menomonie he spent considerable time in traveling
and lecturing. His messages concerning the work done at Stout were carried into
all sections of the United States. The new ideas were broadcasted over the coun-
try, with the result that for many Nears the Stout school at Menomonie was rec-
ognized as a school doing a new and unusually valuable work for the advancenemt
of education. Hundreds of visitors came each y-ear to view at first hand the work
of the school.
Following the death of President Harvey in June. 1922, Superintendent of
118


Go up to Top of Page