Curtiss-Wedge, F.; Jones, Geo. O. (ed.) / History of Dunn County, Wisconsin
Chapter XIV: Further history of Menomonie, pp. 91-116 ff.
HISTORY OF DUNN COUNTY Paul built its branch up the Red Cedar to Menomonie as a spur of the Chippewa Valley division in 1882 without sepcial financial inducement. Both roads oper- ated short lines to the mill at Cedar Falls. J. H. Hvland, who later rose to an eminent position in the railroad world, was the first station agent here of the present Omaha company. The proximity of Menomonie to the great railway gateways of St. Paul and Minneapolis and'to the rail and water terminals at Superior and Duluth, together with the local rail connections, afford ready facilities to the inhabitants of the citv and surrounding territory for getting products to market. The earnings at the stations of the two roads here- the Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis & Omaha (comprising part of the Northwestern sustem) and the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul-are indicative of the vast volume of trade which centers at this point. In recent years the total amount of freight received has approximated 200,000,000 pounds annually, on which was paid about 8290,595.69. The total amount of freight forwarded is annually about 148,000,000 pounds, on which is paid $178,- 929.13. The ticket sales of the two roads approximates 879,705.87. The com- bined earnings of these lines at Menomonie is therefore in round figures over 8549,000 a year. Included in the transportation facilities of the city and county must be men- tioned the improved highway system that is now being developed. Four federal aid trunk lines pass through the city; one known as No. 12 and one, as No. 116 running east and west; and the others, No. 25 and No. 70, running north and south. No. 12 is the state's most direct and best highway connecting Chicago and the Twin Cities. No. 25 forms part of the shortest route between southwestern Wisconsin and the cities at the head of Lake Superior. Another federal trunk line, No. 64, cuts across the northern part of Dunn County east and west. Besides these arteries of interurban traffic, the county is developing a system of good roads with Menomonie as the center. During the 36 years following the purchase by Wilson & Knapp of the Wilson Creek mill (1846) there was no village organization, and in fact there has never been any. Until 1882 the local government was conducted under town organiza- tion, though a village plat had been made. In 1882 Menomonie was incorporated as a city, the charter being prepared by Rock J, Flint, then a member of the state senate. A. J. Turner of Portage assisted in the work. Subsequently some amend- ments were made, but now all such are abrogated by the General Charter Act, changes now being confined to adoption of portions of the general charter. Since 1902 elections have been held biennially. In 1912 Menomonie adopted the com- mission form of government-bv a mayor and two councilmen-which has proved more satisfactory to a majority of the citizens than the former aldermanic system. The commission keeps taxes down to as low a point as is consistent with good serv- ice, the rate being among the lowest known for cities of the same class in Wisconsin. The first mayor elected by the city was Capt. William Wilson, and the first city clerk, J. R. Mathews. Succeeding mayors have been, in the years given, as follows: 1883, William Schutte; 1884, G. H. -Seeley; 1885, E. Marks; 1886, William Schutte; 1887, T. S. Heller; 1888, Peter E. Wilson; 1889, E. Marks; 1890 E. Marks; 1891 and 1892, John Hopwood; 1893, E. A. Barker; 1894 and 1895, Ro-t J. Flint; 1896, George Gallaway; 1898 and 1899, John J. Carter; 1900, A. H. John-(.n,1902, Edward Haag;1904, J. R. Mathews; 1906, A. H. Johnson: 1908-1910, J R Math- ews; 1911-1915, Carl . Peterson. The councilmen now serving are A. L. Johnson and F. W. Rowe, the latter being also city clerk and comptroller. A. L. Johnson is treasurer. The Menomonie Improvement Association.-Durng the years of their opera- tion here the Knapp, Stout & Co. Company (known previous to the year 1878 as Knapp, Stout & Co.) owned the water power which included the pond and pond bank-a fact not generally known to the public, as by many people it was sup- posed to be public property and was used as such without interference by the big 93
This material may be protected by copyright law (Title 17, US Code).| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright