University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Sauk Prairie Area Historical Society (ed.) / Historical homes of Prairie du Sac: a project of the Sauk Prairie Area Historical Society
(1999)

Homes razed for progress,   pp. 58-64 PDF (1.9 MB)


Page 62

285 Washington Street: Dr. Rex Schlag bought this house in 1909. Upon his death, his widow moved
to the second floor and rented the first floor. In 1939 she sold the house to her brother-in-law, Robert
Aton. In 1961 it was sold to Mr. Huehns and razed to construct a new funeral home. After
neighborhood complaints the lot was sold again and the present day Prairie du Sac Post Office was
built on this site.
280 Washington, located at the corner of Third and Washington, was built in 1840. At the time of the
Civil War the parents of Captain National S. Frost lived in the house. Later William Tarnutzer and son
Lloyd lived there. He hauled freight from the railroad. Alois Hutter bought the property and continued
haulking freight. It was burned down to make room for the Bank of Prairie du Sac.
62 w Historic Homes of Prairie du Sac


Go up to Top of Page