University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The history of Columbia County, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages--their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and constitution and of the constitution of the United States

Chapter XIV,   pp. 796-832 PDF (18.9 MB)

Page 796

                                  CHAPTER XIV.
                                    TOWN OF LOWVILLE.
     On the organization of the county, in 1846, the north half of Township
11, Range 10.
together with Townships 13 and 12, same range, was made an election precinct
and named
Wyocena, while the south half of Township .1, Range 10, together with Township
10, Range
10, and east half of Township 10, Range 9, was formed into another precinct
under the name
of Lowville, after Jacob Low. The name was afterward given to the town. At
a meeting of
the Board of County Commissioners, held in January, 1849, Townships 10 and
11, Range 10,
and the east half of Township 10, Range 9, was formed into a town and the
name of Lowville
given to it. The house of Jacob Low was designated as the place for holding
the first election.
At a meeting of the County Board of Supervisors, held January 8, 1850, the
town of Lowville
was made to comprise only all of Township 11, Range 10,
     The first settlement made in this town was in 1843. During that and
the following year,
Jacob Stone, Jacob Low, Edward Clark and Jonathan Gilbert selected and built
upon their
claims. In 1845, Silas W. Herring, Henry Herring, John Barmore, Orin Rogers,
S. J. Scott
and Jefferson Waters came in. S. P. Webb, Claudius Evarts, Justice Worden
and Joseph Snell
came in 1846.
     Thomas McDonough Richards and Julia A. Webb were united in marriage
on the 15th day
pof July, 1847, being the first couple married in the town.
     Emma, daughter of Claudius and Betsy Evarts, was born in May, 1847-the
first white child
born in the town.
     The first death was that of Joseph Snell, who died July 30, 1848.
     In the summer of 1848, Julia Stevens taught a three-months term of school
in a frame
shanty, near the house of Jacob Low, on Section 32. At the same time, B.
M. Webb taught a
term on Section 5. These were the first schools in the town. In the fall
of 1879, there were
eight good schoolhouses, four of which were owned by the town and the remainder
were held by
joint districts with other towns.
     Elder William Cornell, in 1848, began the proclamation of the Word,
his first discourse
being at the house of Theodore Northrup, on Section 8. In September, 1849,
he organized a
Baptist Church, near where he first preached, with sixteen members. The first
meetings were
held in private houses, and, on completion of a schoolhouse on Section 5,
the services were there
held. For more than twenty years, the society met in this schoolhouse, when
the place of meet-
ing was changed to Edmister's Schoolhouse, on Section 17. Elder Cornell was
the first Pastor
of the church, followed by Elder Evan Meredith, who for twenty years broke
the bread of life
to the congregation. Mr. Meredith was succeeded by Elder Enoch Pickering.
About 1855,
the Presbyterians began services in the town, meeting in different schoolhouses
until 1862, when
they erected a small but neat church edifice on Section 32. The society has
been ministered to
from time to time by Revs. Lewis Strong, Lawrie, Gates, Gordon, Hutchinson,
Bushnell, Barnes
and Wall.
     In 1846, a post office was established on Section 32, with Jacob Low
as first Postmaster.
Mr. Low was succeeded, in order named, by Stephen Brayton, De Witt C. Strong,
James Hall
and William Ridgeway. The first mail route by which this office was supplied
was from Madi-
son to Portage. Prior to the completion of the Northern Division of the Chicago,
Milwaukee &
St. Paul Railroad, this route was extensively patronized by traveling men.
Jacob Low con-
verted his house into a hotel in 1846, continuing the same until 1858. Stephen
Brayton, who

Go up to Top of Page