University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The history of Columbia County, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages--their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and constitution and of the constitution of the United States
(1880)

Chapter XIII,   pp. 747-795 PDF (25.2 MB)


Page 784


HISTORY OF COLUMBIA COUNTY.
Andrews. A church, in connection with the parish, was organized September
2, 1875, with the
following membership: David Hesselgrave, Hannah Hesselgrave, Frank Terrill,
Frederick
Perry, John Foote, William B. Chrisler, Elizabeth Chrisler, J. A. Wieting,
R. N. Bartholomew,
H. L. Bancroft, C. A. Martin, Mrs. C. A. Martin, Mr. Curtiss and wife, Abbie
Curtiss, Mary
S. Bradley, Jane A. Perry, Albert Lovering, Jane Lovering, Julia A. Bradley,
John W. Foote,
Laura R. Foote, Emily B. Foote, Florence M. Foote, A. Terrill, Jacob Chrisler,
Mary H.
Chrisler, Josephine Cawthorn, Carlton Cawthorn, Emma Cawthorn, Mattie E.
Bartholomew.
The first minister to preach Universalism in Lodi was Rev. M. G. Todd, through
whose instru.
mentality a good work was wrought.   He was succeeded by Rev. B. F. Rogers,
in 1872,
during whose pastorate the parish was organized.  For the year 1873, the
parish had no min-
ister, but in 1874, Rev. Mr. Todd once more became its minister, and by him
the church was
instituted. The church edifice is of brick, and is finished in handsome style.
Its erection was
commenced April 3, 1873, and dedicated January 15, 1878, the sermon of dedication
being
preached by Rev. M. G. Todd.  The cost of the building was $4,000.  A successful
Sunday
school, of fifty members, has been in operation for some years. Rev. A. C.
Barry, D. D., was
the successor of Mr. Todd and has met with fair success in his labors.
     Schools.-The first settlement in the village of Lodi was made in the
spring of 1846, and
 in the summer a log house was erected on Section 27, and school taught therein
by Miss Mary
 Yockey. This house served until 1851, when a frame building was erected
on the same section,
 the district being No. 1. John Foote taught the first winter term in 1848-49.
The school
 districts of the town remained as organized by the Town Superintendent of
Schools until 1864.
 On the 17th day of September of that year, the Supervisors of the town,
by order, attached the
 territory of Districts Nos. 2 and 6 to District No. 1. On the 8th day of
October, 1864, by
 order of the Board, District No. 7 was also attached. On the 5th day of
November, 1877, the
 portion of Joint District No. 3, lying within the town of Lodi, was attached,
making the Union
 District composed of Nos. 1, 2, 6, 7, and a part of No. 3. The first school
meeting of the
 consolidated districts was held September 26, 1864. At this meeting, H.
M. Ayer was elected
 Director for three years; John B. Dwinnell, Treasurer, for two years; W.
M. Bartholomew,
 Clerk, for one year. A special school meeting was held October 8, 1864,
when the District
 Board was authorized to move one or more of the schoolhouses in the district
as will best sub-
 serve the interest of the whole district. The object of uniting these school
districts was to form
 a union school of high grade. Previous to this time, Prof. A. G. Riley had
been teaching a
 select high school in the village, and had awakened considerable interest
in a higher education
 than was then being taught by the common schools of the town. At the same
time the State
 Superintendent of Public Schools, in his annual report, had placed the village
in rather an un-
 enviable light in comparison with Kilbourn City, Pardeeville, Wyocena, Cambria,
Fall River,
 and Poynette, which aroused the pride of the citizens of Lodi, and steps
were at once taken to
 remedy the matter. On the suggestion of the Superintendent the consolidation
was effected.
 Prof. Riley expressed himself ready to abandon his school if the change
was made. He was
 chosen the first Principal of the Union School, which was opened Monday,
November 14,
 1864.
   At the annual meeting, August 28, 1865, the sum of $375 was appropriated
and the Board
instructed to purchase for a new school building, and to sell all real estate
not then used for
school purposes. At the annual meeting, August 27, 1866, it was voted to
raise $60, to pay
rent for the basement of the Methodist Episcopal Church, which was being
used for the high
schopl.   It was also voted to purchase a lot of E. B. Wait for $150; one
of J. B. Dwinne]l
for $127; and two of William Dunlap for $275. -These purchases were authorized
and made with
a view of erecting a new school building. In furtherance of this idea, at
the annual meeting,
held August 26, 1867, there was appropriated $50, to pay for plan and specifications
of the new
house. A committee was also appointed to secure the passage of a private
law to enable the
district to issue its bonds for the purpose of erecting the building. The
Legislature acceded to
the request of the will of the district, as expressed in their meeting, and
passed an enabling act,
784


Go up to Top of Page