The history of Columbia County, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages--their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and constitution and of the constitution of the United States
Chapter XII, pp. 698-746 PDF (23.9 MB)
HISTORY OF COLUMBIA CO'UNTY. 1870-Hugh McFarlane, Chairman; Ingle Spoonan, C. M. Young, Supervisors; L. H. Smith, Clerk; 0. S. Bartlett, Treasurer; Judson J. Hunt. Assessor. 1871-Hugh McFarlane, Chairman; Ingle E. Spoonan, Louis Lintner, Supervisors; L. H. Smith, Clerk; Charles Mair, Treasurer; William Stevenson, Assessor. 1872-Hugh McFarlane Chairman; Robert Wilson, David Bullen, Supervisors; George C. Clark, Clerk; Charles Mair, Treasurer; William Stevenson, Assessor. 1873-Hugh McFarlane, Chairman; 0. S. Bartlett, John Caldwell, Supervisors; L. H. Smith, Clerk; Allen Bogue, Treasurer; B. E. Jones, Assessor. 1874-Hugh McFarlane, Chairman; John Caldwell, 0. S. Bartlett, Supervisors; L. H. Smith, Clerk; Allen Bogue, Treasurer; B. E. Jones, Assessor. 1875-Allen Bogue, Chairman; William McCulley, 0. S. Bartlett, Supervisors ; L. IL Smith, Clerk, George McMillan, Treasurer; E. B. Jones, Assessor. 1876-A. Bogue, Chairman; 0. S. Bartlett, William, Stevenson, 'Supervisors" L. H. Smith, Clerk; George McMillan, Treasurer; John Caldwell, Assessor. 1877-A. Bogue, Chairman; 0. S. Bartlett, William Stevenson, Supervisors; L. H. Smith, Clerk; George McMillan, Treasurer; John Campbell, Assessor. 1878-A. Bogue, Chairman; 0. S. Bartlett, William Stevenson, Supervisors; L. H. Smith, Clerk; George McMillan, Treasurer; John Caldwell, Assesser. 1879-A. Bogue, Chairman; William Stevenson, William Bartlett, Supervisors; L. H. Smith, Clerk; George McMillen, Treasurer; William Dunlap, Assessor. 1880-Adam Bogue, Chairman; Thomas Mair, August Gundlach, Supervisors; L. H. Smith, Clerk David Bullen, Treasurer; William Dunlap, Assessor. VILLAGE OF ARLINGTON. The village of Arlington, located upon Section 13, of the town of Arlington, was platted in 1871, by Mrs. Sarah Pierce and David Bullen, the former owning the land upon the north side of the main street,and the latter the land upon the south side. The first house was built by Winslow Bullen, in the same summer, the lower story of which was used as a store, by George McMillan, he being the first to engage in the mercantile trade, and the upper part was rented for a dwelling. The first house used exclusively as a dwelling house was erected by Charles Ginther. Charles and George Ginther were the first blacksmiths, and opened in 1875. Their run of work rapidly increased, and soon the business of wagon and carriage making was added, and in the spring of 1880, the firm, then being Ginther & Seiler, were doing a lucrative business. The Arlington Hotel was erected in 1871, by John McMillan, and has been run by him up to the present time. It is a two-story frame, and will accommodate fifteen or twenty guests. The second person to engage in mercantile trade was H. W. Hall, who sold goods about two years; the third was Winslow Bullen, who in the summer of 1877, opened a stock of general merchandise, in the building erected originally for that purpose, in 1871. George Ginther and Miss Nellie Shanks were the first couple united in marriage in the village limits, which event occurred in December, 1876. The first birth was Jessie, daughter of George and Ann McMillan, in the summer of 1875. The Madison "& Portage, now Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul, Railroad, was completed through the village in the summer of 1871, a depot erected, and Edward Watkinson appointed agent. D. C. Moak, F. R. Morris, Charles Morris, A. D. Goodrich and William Caldow, have, in the order named, been agents since that date. A large amount of grain is shipped from this station. A pQst office was established here in 1871, withMrs. Adeline C. Paine as Postmistress. George McMillan, H. W. Hall, and again George McMillan, have since then been Postmasters. 700'
Based on date of publication, this material is presumed to be in the public domain.| Original materal owned by South Central Library System.| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright