University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The history of Columbia County, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages--their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and constitution and of the constitution of the United States
(1880)

Chapter XI,   pp. 665-697 PDF (18.3 MB)


Page 687


HISTORY OF COLUMBIA COUNTY.
therein, but the miller made the discovery too late to remedy the matter;
the hopper was full,
and the only way to empty it was to keep the wheels turning and grind it
out. In August,
1849, thirty-one years ago, J. S. Manning purchased, the property. He has
made many im-
provements about the old place, putting in an entirely new outfit of machinery.
In 1858, a
new stone dam was built, but a portion of it has since washed away. The main
dam is now
constructed of wood. In 1876, a sixty-horse power engine was added to the
other improvements.
Since then, water has been universally abundant. There are now four runs
of stones in the mill,
and it has a capacity of about one hundred bushels per day
     The Foundry.-In 1869, or perhaps a year earlier, Hall & Caswell
established a factory
in Columbus, where they turned out wagons, corn-plows, etc. Mr. Caswell soon
retired from
the business, selling his interest to a son of Mr. Hall, the firm becoming
S. C. Hall & Son. In
September, 1879, Bolte & Eckoff purchased the property. They have added
largely to the ma-
chinery and now manufacture the "Eureka " windmill, upon which
Mr. Bolte has a patent, it
being his own invention. They also manufacture the "Economist"
churn. Connected with the
institution is a foundry in which are used all the modern appliances, and
one run of stones upon
which feed is ground, the whole being operated by a large and powerful engine.
      The -Elevator. -Built in 1865, by Farnham & Allen, now managed
under the firm name of
 Farnham, Allen & Co. The elevator building proper is 40x40 feet, and
has a capacity of 30,-
 000 bushels of grain. Besides the usual machinery attached to elevators,
there are two runs of
 stones for grinding feed, the whole being operated by a twenty-horse power
engine. Adjoining
 the elevator is a warehouse 60x40 feet, built in 1856.
     Near by is the ¶xtensive storehouse of Messrs. Churchill &
Sexton, built in the spring of
 1877. It is 130 feet long and 36 feet wide, and has an area of floor capable
of holding 20,000
 bushels of grain.
     Columbus Marble Worlcs.-Established by Wilson & Cramm in 1867, near
the Fox House,
on James street. In 1869, G. L. Graham purchased the works of Mr. Wilson,
the latter
having previously bought out his partner, Mr. Cramm, and removed it to the
present site of
Leuder & Krouse's store, and later, to the present site of Henderson's
Opera House. J. P.
Miller then became a partner and remained three years.   A partnership was
then formed with
W. T. Turner. In 1872, the concern was moved to its present site. In 1878,
H. M. Blumen-
thal took a third interest, and a year later, Mr. Turner retired in favor
of his son, W. R. Turner.
In January, 1880, Mr. Graham disposed of his interest to his partners, and
the firm is now
Turner & Blumenthal.     From four to six hands are employed, and the
result of their labor
finds ready sale within a.radius of forty miles.
     Machine Shop, etc.-In 1870, S. Hutchinson established in Columbus as
an agricultural
implement dealer. In March, 1875, J.*G. Kanouse took a half interest with
him, and the firm
commenced the manufacture of pumps on a small scale, and also repaired machinery.
A ten-
horse power engine is employed in the business. Attached to the-shop are
a turning lathe and
a planing machine.   On the 3d of April, 1880, Mr. Kanouse went out, leaving
Mr. Hutchinson
sole proprietor.
     Joiner and Builder-Among the institutions of Columbus, none have borne
a more im-
portant part in the growth of the place than the estabishment of R. D. Vanaken.
Twenty-five
years ago, he commenced in Columbus as a builder, manufacturing his own windows,
doors, sash,
etc., and has since erected nearly two hundred houses in and around the city.
Many of the
handsome stores, dwellings and churches in Columbus are of his workmanship.
     Breweries. -Jacob Jussen was the pioneer brewer of Columbus. He built
a small house
on the west bank of the Crawfish, as early as 1848. The old Gambrinian temple
still stands,
though its beams are bent with the burden of time, and the walls within are
odorous with age
and the fumes of beer. Louis Brauchle purchased the establishment in 1849,
and though he has
repaired and rebuilt and made additions to it, the general decay that pervades
the premises must
ultimately triumph in their destruction. The old maltster long since passed
the meridian of life,
and soon both he and his brewery must take places among the things that were.
          v
687


Go up to Top of Page