University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

The history of Columbia County, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages--their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and constitution and of the constitution of the United States
(1880)

Butterfield, C. W.
V.--Wisconsin as a state,   pp. 52-109 PDF (28.8 MB)


Page 57


WISCONSIN AS, A STATE.
eral Government. Lands owned by the State amount, at the present time, to
about one and one
half million acres.
     A joint resolution passed the legislature on the 31st of March, 1849,
instructing Isaac P.
 Walker to resign his seat as United States senator, for "presenting
and voting for an amend-
 ment to the general appropriation bill, providing for a government in California
and New Mexico,
 west of the Rio Grande, which did not contain a provision forever prohibiting
the introduction
 of slavery or involuntary servitude" in those Territories. The senator
refused to regard these
 instructio'ns. The legislature adjourned on the second of April, 1849, after
a session of eighty-
 three days.
     In July, 1848, the legislature of Wisconsin elected M. Frank, Charles
C. Jordan, and A. W.
 Randall, commissioners to collate and revise all the public acts of the
State, of a general and
 permanent nature in force at the close of the session. Randall declining
to act, Charles M.
 Baker was appointed by the governor in his place. The commissioners commenced
their labors
 in August, 1848, and were engaged in the revision the greater part of the
time until the close of
 the session of the legislature of 1849. It was found impossible for the
revisers to conclude their
 labors within the time contemplated by the act authorizing their appointment;
so a joint select
 committee of the two houses at their second session was appointed to assist
in the work. The
 laws revised by this committee and by the commissioners, were submitted
to, and approved by,
 the legislature. These laws, with a few passed by that body, which were
introduced by individual
 members, formed the Revised Statutes of Wisconsin of 1849 - a volume of
over nine hundrpd
 pages.
     At the general election held in November of this year, Dewey was re-elected
governor.
S. W. Beall was elected lieutenant governor; William A. Barstow, secretary
of state; Jairus C.
Fairchild was re-elected treasurer; S. Park Coon was elected attorney general;
and Eleazer
Root, re-elected superintendent of public instruction. All these officers
were chosen as dem-
ocrats, except Root, who ran' as an independent candidate, the term of his
office having been
changed so as to continue two years from the first day of January next succeeding
his election.
By the revised statutes of 1849, all State officers elected for a full term
went into office on the
first of January next succeeding their election.
     The year 1849 developed in an increased ratio the productive capacity
of the State in every
department of labor. The agriculturist, the artisan, the miner, reaped the
well-earned reward of
his honest labor. The commercial and manufacturing interests were extended
in a manner
highly creditable to the enterprise of the people. The educational interest
of the State began to
assume a more systematic organization. The tide of immigration suffered no
decrease during
the year. Within the limits of Wisconsin, the oppressed of other climes continued
to find
welcome and happy homes.
     SECOND ADMINISTRATION.-NELSON DEWEY, GOVERNOR (SECOND TERM)-i850, 1851.
     On the first day of January, 1850, Nelson Dewey took the oath of office,
and quietly entered
upon his duties as governor, for the second term. The third legislature convened
on the ninth.
Moses M. Strong was elected speaker of the assembly. Both houses had democratic
majorities.
Most of the business transacted was of a local character. By an act approved
the fifth of Feb-
ruary, the " January term " of the supreme court was changed to
December. The legislature
adjourned after a session of only thirty-four days. An act was passed organizing
a sixth judicial
circuit, from and after the first Monday in July, 1850, consisting of the
counties of Crawford,
Chippewa, Bad Axe, St. Croix and La Pointe, an election for judge to be holden
on the same
day. Wiram Knowlton was elected judge of that circuit.
57,


Go up to Top of Page