The history of Columbia County, Wisconsin, containing an account of its settlement, growth, development and resources; an extensive and minute sketch of its cities, towns and villages--their improvements, industries, manufactories, churches, schools and societies; its war record, biographical sketches, portraits of prominent men and early settlers; the whole preceded by a history of Wisconsin, statistics of the state, and an abstract of its laws and constitution and of the constitution of the United States
Butterfield, C. W.
IV.--Wisconsin territory, pp. 41-52 PDF (6.0 MB)
HISTORY OF WISCONSIN. proper reservation of rights in favor of the Indians. It provided for subsequently dividing tne Territory into one or more, should congress deem it wise so to do. It also declared that the executive power and authority in and over the Territory should be vested in a governor, at the same time defining his powers. It provided for the appointment of a secretary, stating what his duties should be. The legislative power was vested in the governor and legislative assembly, the latter to consist of a council and house of representatives, answering respectively to the senate and assembly, as states are usually organized. There was a provision for taking the census of the several counties, and one giving the governor power to name the time, place, and manner of holding the first election, and to declare the number of members of the council and house of representatives to which each county should be entitled. He was also to determine where the first legislative assembly should meet, and a wise provision was that the latter should not be in session in any-one year more than seventy-five days. One section of the act declared who should be entitled to vote and hold office; another defined the extent of the powers of the legislature, and a third provided that all laws should be submitted to congress for their approval or rejection. There was a section designating what offices should be elective and what ones should be filled by the governor. There were others regulating the judiciary for the Territory and declaring what offices should be appointed by the United States, providing for their taking the proper oaths of office and regulating their salaries. One, perhaps the most important of all, declared that the Territory should be entitled to and enjoy all the rights, privileges, and advantages.granted by the celebrated ordinance of 1787. There was also a provision for the election of a delegate to the house of representatives of the United States; and a declaration that all suits and indictments pending in the old courts should be con- tinued in the new ones. Five thousand dollars were appropriated for a library for the accommo- dation of the legislative assembly of the Territory and of its supreme court. For the new Territory, Henry Dodge was, on the 3oth of April, 1836, by Andrew Jackson, then President of the United States, commissioned governor. John S. Horner was commissioned secretary; Charles Dunn, chief justice; David Irvin and William C. Frazer, associate judges; W. W. Chapman, attorney, and Francis Gehon, marshal. The machinery of a territorial gov- ernment was thus formed, which was set in motion by these officers taking the prescribed oath of office. The next important stepto be taken was to organize the Territorial Vlegislature. The provisions of the organic act relative to the enumeration of the population of the Territory were that previously to the first election, the governor should cause the ceusus of the inhabitants of the ý several counties to be taken by the several sheriffs, and that the latter should make returns of the same to the Executive. These figures gave to Des Moines county, 6,257; Iowa county, 5,234; Dubuque county, 4,274; Milwaukee county, 2,893; Brown county, 2,7o6; Crawford county, 850. The entire population, therefore, of Wisconsin Territory in the summer of 1836, as given by the first census was, in precise numbers, twenty-two thousand two hundred and four- teen, of which the two counties west of the Mississippi furnished nearly one half. The apportion- ment, after the census'had been taken, made by the governor, gave to the different counties thir- teen councilmen and twenty-six representatives. Brown county got two councilmen and three representatives; Crawford, two representatives, but no councilmen; Milwaukee, two councilmen and three representatives; Iowa, Dubuque and Des Moines, each three councilmen; but of repre-. sentatives, Iowa got six; Dubuque, five, and'Des Moines, seven. The election was held on the tenth of October, 1836, exciting considerable interest, growing out, chiefly, of local considera- tions. The permanent location of the capital, the division of counties, and the location of county seats, were the principal questions influencing the voters. There were elected from the county of Brown, Henry S. Baird and John P. Arndt, members of the council; Ebenezer Childs, Albert: 42
Based on date of publication, this material is presumed to be in the public domain.| Original materal owned by South Central Library System.| For information on re-use see: http://digital.library.wisc.edu/1711.dl/Copyright