University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Town of Frankfort centennial

Pioneer memories,   pp. 77-110

Page 79

ready to start home by 4 o'clock that afternoon. In spite of the
hard work just finished, the little pony, mind you, started home
with his same persistent trot. At Marathon we again made an
investigation and this time discovered that he had a sore mouth.
After fastening the reins to the halter, then releasing the bit, we
were able to travel along peacefully.
"We resumed our homeward course, and I couldn't help but
think my partner must have been carrying considerable money
- the collection from those who had bought cheese. I had asked
him before we started ifhe carried a revolver. His reply was with
a laugh, "Ach, what do we need of a gun?" I couldn't share that
feeling of optimism. When we left Marathon the tension in-
creased. It was 10 o'clock - a clear, still night. About one and a
halfmiles out of town, we turned west where our road a halfmile
farther crossed the section line. It was here that I commenced
to feel real shaky. My fear was not lessened a bit to see in the
distance a team of horses and a wagon by the side of the road.
Beside the wagon was a fire. Upon drawing nearer, the clear.
ness of the night permitted us to see two men step across the
ditch into the road. The first, a tall, lanky fellow carried a rifle
- the other, a lantern. I pushed Michler. "There they are,
already," I exclaimed. They were only two or three rods behind
us - attempting, we believed, to overtake our wagon. I hit my
horses and said'get'. The action of the men was quicker than my
unmatched team. They were quickly gaining on us until
another yell set the tired horses on a dead run with the men in
hot pursuit. We managed to keep our seats, and as we sped down
the rough roadway, Michler holding his money bag aloft shouted
to me "sie sollen est nicht haben, ich schmeise es im graben.,
(They shall not have it - IIl throw it in the ditch.) We escaped
and the money was saved, but I don't believe there is a man
living in Marathon County who ever went over that old road as
fast as we did that night."
Circa 1927 Successful Deer Hunting Crew                     Circa 1920: Buildingroads east ofBrice Beder farm (Now called
(l-r) Art Wendtland, Otto Neitzel, Fred Neitzel, Melvin Mullins,  Blue Berry Road).
Henry Dvorak and Herman Neitzel.
1905: Anton Gurosh (sometimes called Garach), deliveringa load of cheese to Colby. Gurosh, the man with the hat behinc
the cow, farmed in Sec. 4 from 1890 - 1905.
It is told that after one of his horses died, he used a cow with the surviving horse, as a team. When the cow tired o
was unable to keep up with the pace, he would help the cow pull the load. It is said that he would go barefooted, ever
late in winter, and his footprints were sometimes mistaken for bear tracks.

Go up to Top of Page