University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Town of Frankfort centennial
(1890-1990)

Churches,   pp. 51-56


Page 55

burial records for those years included a column listing (die
Hinterbliebenen) the bereaved.
After the death of Pastor Schmalz, several area pastors filled
the vacancy until a call was accepted by Pastor E. Nottbohm of
Mt. Olive, Illinois. Pastor Nottbohm wasinstalled December 12,
1920, and he served this congregation and St. John's faithfully
for thirtyyears. It was during this period that the congregation
made the slow and painful move from German to English
services.
Checking through the treasurer's books will indicate that
the congregation made many changes in emphasis. In 1923,
$21.50 was given to mission work in Deutschland. Mission
festivals were annual events. The following reflects the interest
which the American Lutheran Church had in people, for begin-
ningin 1943, sums much larger than missions had drawn were
sent to Lutheran World Action. This remained true up through
1950, indicating concern for the war victims.
Following the retirement of Pastor Nottbohm in 1950, a call
was extended to Pastor J.H. Kolberg on September 3,1950. He
was installed October 15, 1950 and served the congregation
until 1956. The biggest change which came to the congregation
was the beginning of Sunday School. Other changes during this
time included the introduction of the envelope system, a new
constitution was adopted, an electronic organ was purchased, a
new heating system was installed, a kitchen was added, and
other improvements to the basement were made.
In October 1956, Pastor Henry Krikau of Melville, Sas-
katchewan, Canada accepted the call to the St. John's Peace
Parish and was installed October 25. He served the parish until
the end of 1960. During this time the congregation was pre-
pared for the pending merger of the former American Lutheran
Church, The Evangelical Lutheran Church and The United
Evangelical Lutheran Church, to form the present American
Lutheran Church.
German services were held from the very beginning of the
church organization, until the younger generation began losing
their ability to understand their native language. English was
taught in all the public schools. The congregation made the
move from German to English during Pastor Nottbohm's reign.
At first English services were every other Sunday and later Ger-
man services once a month.
When Pastor Kolberg was installed in 1950 services were all
in English. It is interesting to note that Pastor Karl Schmalz
and Pastor Ernest Nottbohm served the two congregations for
fifty-six years followed by Pastor Kolberg 1950-1956, Pastor
Krikau 1956-1961, Pastor Zaiser 1961-1966, Pastor Schroeder
1967-1972, Pastor Davidson 1972-1975, Pastor James Reif
1975-1979, Pastor Merlin Schlichting 1979-1983, Pastor Tim
Diemer 1984-1989. The present Pastor, Rev. Jeff Tarras was in-
stalled in December of 1989.
PEACE LUTHERAN CHURCH CEMETERY
Updated to June 29, 1990. Located in Section 15, Town of
Frankfort, Marathon County
Row #1
MARTYN
WENZEL
NIENOW
GIESE
Row #2
Tyler, John - Nov. 22, 1925 - 1988
Norman - July 22, 1914 - Sept. 16, 1989
Fred - Nov. 17, 1909 - Nov. 9, 1989
Dorothy - Nov. 30, 1916
Arthur F. - 1902 - 1981
Elsie A. - 1905
MARTYN     Peter - 1890 - 1951
Emma L. - 1903
WOLFF      William H. - Jan. 21, 1905 - July 7, 1963
Hulda - June 30, 1907
PODEVELS Eugene C. - Feb. 22, 1899 - Aug. 20, 1974
Anna E. - Mar. 20, 1908
KLIMPKE    Walter Sr. - 1915 - 1981
Lavina - 1918
WEINKE     Julius - 1880 - 1962
Martha - 1888 - 1970
PODEVELS Albert F. - Feb. 19, 1897 - Nov. 24, 1988
Ida A. - May 31, 1902 - Mar. 14, 1954
YESSA      Alvina - 1895 - 1977
Louis - 1892 - 1950
Row #3
MARTYN     Mr. & Mrs. Peter, Sr.
MARTYN      Issac - 1880 - 1987
Emilie - 1930 - 1964, Dau. of
Mr. & Mrs. Peter Martyn, Jr.
TRAEDER    Mother, Martha - 1889 - 1930
CHRISTIANSEN Minnie M. -Nov. 16,1879 - Dec. 17,1968
Peter - 1908 - 1987
WIEDERHOEFT        Mother, Edna E. - 1894 - 1968
Father, William C. - 1892 - 1938
NIENOW     Fred - Dec. 9, 1880 - June 21, 1944
Mary - Oct. 7, 1882 - July 4, 1973
ZENK       Emil H. - Aug. 5, 1898 - May 23, 1945


Go up to Top of Page