University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Wisconsin Rural Electric Cooperative Association / First yearbook, 1938

Introduction: local cooperative histories,   pp. 33-49 PDF (4.3 MB)

Page 42

1937, as the PIERCE-PEPIN ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE. The original member-
ship was 982 farmers. Since the construction started in September, new
members have applied daily, seventy-five being received by November.
County Agents John Seyforth of Pierce County and 0. G. Woelfel of Pepin
County have been of very great assistance to their farmer groups.
    The City of Ellsworth is quite central to all sections of the project
and is the location of the Cooperative's office. Here, on the last Wednesday
of each month, the following men, who have been elected to the Board
of Directors, meet for their regular business meeting.
           SIDNEY PETERSON, President, Hager City
           ROLAND JOHNSON, Vice-President, Pepin
           WALTER M. LEONARD, Secretary-Treasurer, Ellsworth
               Nicou JOHNSON, River Falls
               PAUL JOHNSON, Ellsworth
               MANLEY OLSON, Beldenville
               WILLIAM BUTEL, Beldenville
               GEORGE ANDREWS, Bay City
               ALMON VANDEBERC, Prescott
    The duly chosen and approved Project Superintendent is A. M. Ander-
son of Ellsworth. He is assisted in the office by Wanda E. Birkel as
stenographer and E. C. Brown as Head Easement Solicitor.
    The contract for the construction of these lines in Pierce and Pepin
counties was let to L. G. Arnold, Inc. of Eau Claire, who is building under
the supervision of STATEWIDE. In spite of frost and snow it is anticipated
that construction will proceed to completion within the term of the contract
which closes April 1, 1938. G. L. VanFleet is resident engineer.
    The PIERCE-PEPIN ELECTRIC COOPERATIVE is a member of the Wis-
consin Power Cooperative, their Secretary-Treasurer, Mr. Leonard, being
also Secretary-Treasurer of the Power Cooperative, and on the Board of
Directors and the Executive Committee. Wm. Butel is also on the Board
of Directors of both organizations.
    The substation from which the lines of this community will be fed is
on Unit 3, or the west leg of the transmission line, and is located at
    On the second day of May, 1936, a telegram from Washington an-
nounced the first allotment of REA money to Wisconsin. The RICHLAND
COOPERATIVE ELECTRIC ASSOCIATION was one of the two recipients, the
COLUMBUS COOPERATIVE being the other group to be made happy.
cooperative on January 20, 1936. They became the first project for which
actual construction plans were made and the first to begin construction.
    The low bid for this 232 mile project was presented by the Industrial
Electric Company of New Orleans, Louisiana, who moved to Richiand
Center and made preparations for starting construction early in Septem-
ber, 1937.

Go up to Top of Page