University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Colby, Wisconsin centennial
(1873-1973)

Sketches of pioneers,   pp. 18-127


Page 126

BUSINESS PLACES OF TODAY
Starting on Main Street going south, on the east side of the
street is Toelle Surge Service. Dale and Rosemary Toelle pur-
chased the business from Norman Hug in 1960.
Laura's Plants and Things has been operated by Laura Len-
hard since 1964. Since then the greenhouse has been remod-
eled and expanded.
Dr. Wayne Gaulke, veterinarian, is located on the corner of
Washington and Main.
Turning right on County Trunk N is Schjoneman's Truck-
ing Inc., It originated in Aug., 1946, operating a fleet of trucks
for Lewis Container Corp. for 17 years. It is now a truck leas-
ing and service center.
To the east on N is Neitzel's Electrical Service. Bill has been
in business for 27 years.
Going north on Hwy. 13 on the Marathon County side is the
Runzheimer Ins. Agency established in 1933. This business has
been in continuous operation by the Runzheimer family.
Hubing Auto Parts has been in Colby since 1949.
Brown's Corner Bar, on the corner of County Trunk N and
Division St., is owned by Bob Brown.
Citgo Station, owned by Marshfield Oil Co., is operated by
Herman Weigel.
Ken and Delores Dearth's IGA Store was purchased in April
1973 from Roy Martens. Former owners were Quammes and
Fribergs. Bill Fahrenbach has been the meat cutter there for
many years.
Riteway Cleaner Center and Laundromat and Car Wash was
opened in June, 1972, by Myron Greaser and Bob Stacke.
Lamont Service Station, in 1963 Malcolm and his son, Jim
Lamont built a new service station on the corner of Marathon
and Division Sts., on the site of the former Carl Mundt resi-
dence.
John H. Keel Photo Studio is next. It was purchased in
1968 from Ken Schulz.
Harmony Hardware, former Kriplean Garage, is operated
by Ray Binning.
Morris Wicker purchased the Colby Bowling Alley from Ber-
dell Bruesewitz in 1970.
Adolph Dums, barber, came here in 1956 and took over the
shop of Henry Reeves. He moved his shop into the old post
office building in 1957.
H H Motor Co., is owned by Bernard Tesmer since 1949.
In 1929 Dr. H. H. Christofferson purchased the property from
Doud and Durland, took over the Ford agency and formed the
corporation of H. H. Motor Co.
Doc and Helen Fults have operated the Colby Hotel, former
Niehoff Hotel, since 1965. A new addition had been added to
the hotel in 1968, known as the "Cheese Room."
Stock Anderson Agency Ins. located in the former Sturner,
Cross, Hug building, has been in operation under the name of
Stock Anderson Ins. Agency since 1956.
In 1940, Edward Stock, father of Lois Anderson, started an
independent agency selling insurance from his farm in the
Township of Colby. This farm has been in the family since
1884, now the residence of the Andersons.
Eveline Kobs, secretary for Sturner Cross & Hug continues
to work for the Stock Anderson Agency. In 1970 Joyce John-
son has also been employed at the office.
Next we come to the V.F.W. Club House.
The S & K Dairy is located in the old 0 & N Lumber Co.
building with Herb Sauer and Nick Kleparski as partners of the
DeLaval dealership in this area.
Leiders and Tesmer Trailer Court. Mr. and Mrs. Orville
Leiders and Mr. and Mrs. Junior Tesmer started the Green
Acres Terrace Inc., Mobile Home Court in the summer of 1968
at the north edge of the Colby city limits on the N. P. Peterson
property.
Next is the Telephone Co. office.
Pat and Don Hasselberger are the new owners of the North
Side Bar purchased from the Jones Boys in July, 1972.
Turning east at the corner of the North Side Bar on the site
of the original Wiedenhoeft Park, the Sword, dance hall and
nite club, owned by Paul Weix. It was designed after a replica
of the Wiedenhoeft Pavilion.
Outlying business on Highway 13 going north is Leiders
Gravel and Granite Trucking.
The new Veterinarian Clinic is next. This is a branch of the
clinic at Medford, with Drs. Hildabrandt, Dougherty, Sheffler,
and Schulte, all from Medford.
Midway Homes Inc. organized in the fall of 1968, became
an independent incorporation, now known as the Midway
Homes, owned by Wallace and Jean Schultz and sons.
Wilde's Paint Shop and Evergreen Garden Center is next.
The late Pete Wilde began his business in Colby as a paint
store, expanding into a Christmas tree business in 1965. They
moved to the present site on Hwy. 13 in the late 1960's, his
wife now operating the business.
The Outdoor Theatre, owned by Robert Hodd is next. He
also owns a theatre in Abbotsford.
Turning east about a quarter of a mile is the Scidmore Fur
Farm Inc., which was sold to North Star Barge of Mpls. in 1970
with Lloyd Scidmore as manager.
Going back on Hwy. 13 on the south edge of the city on the
Clark County side, we find Kaiser Easy Rider Snowmobile Inc.
In 1946 A. Kaiser built a filling station and garage. With his
son, Don as a partner, they formed the Kaiser Oil Co. in 1956.
1967 they took on the agency. Don is the sales representative
for snowmobiles.
The Colby Cheese House occupies the former display room
of the Krepsky Neck building which was later the Johnson
Shell Service. It was started in Sept., 1961 by Elaine and Leo
Hilber and is now owned by Ben Beil.
D.H.I.A.-Central Wisconsin Dairy Herd Improvement Co-
operative has been in Colby since April 1965, doing butterfat
testing for dairy herds in five counties, Clark, Lincoln, Taylor,
Portage and Wood. There are seven fieldmen, four lab techni-
cians and a manager.
Suckow's Bar is owned by Harvey Suckow; this was former-
ly the Dugout Bar.
Packaging Corp. of America has been in operation for 22
years.
Herricks Service station and Greyhound Bus Stop was pur-
chased by Florian Herrick from Hazel Witte in 1960 whose
husband, Edwin, built it in 1936.
The A & W Root Beer Stand has been remodeled and un -
der the new ownership of Al and Velma Itzen from Marshfield.
Colby Cafe owners are Mr. and Mrs. Casey Aichle. Former
owners were Hilda Schonfeldt and Alto's.
Montgomery Ward Agency, the former Gamble Store build-
ing owned by Hazel Witte, is managed by Ray Sczech.
The office building of Atty.'s Nikolay, Jensen and Scott is
located across from the Colby Hotel on Division St.
Fashionaire Beauty Salon, located in the old Briggs building
is owned by Gladys Shafarik and is under the management of
Mrs. Honey Franz.
Les' Northside Service, purchased as the Mobile gas station
-126-


Go up to Top of Page