University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Colby, Wisconsin centennial
(1873-1973)

Sketches of pioneers,   pp. 18-127


Page 27

HOLTZHAUSEN BLACKSMITH SHOP
KARL HOLTZHAUSEN
In 1879 Karl Holtzhausen and his brother, Herman, opened
a blacksmith shop in Colby on Division St. two doors north of
the Green Bay Saloon.
After two years, Karl, known as Charley, operated the shop
alone. Later he moved it to where the old Harmony store once
stood. It burned in 1891 but was quickly rebuilt and later be-
came the business of Holtzhausen and Son. At one time he had
a shop on 2nd St. The business was sold in 1910 to Louis
Schorer, but Holtzhausen continued in business on First St. in
the building once known as Pete Pinter's Wagon Shop.
In 1916 Carl, Jr. took over on his own. In 1950 the shop
was moved to the rear of his home on First St. Carl Jr. was Jus-
tice of Ward Three for 20 years and city clerk for 32 years.
FRED ROTH
Fred Roth, a Colby pioneer, and one of N. P. Peterson's
employees established his own business in 1880. William Roth,
his son, succeeded his father in 1909. William was a skilled
comedian and musician in addition to being a blacksmith. He
was a prominent member of the Colby orchestra.
Later blacksmiths in the area were Louis Schorer who pur-
chased a shop of Carl Holtzhausen and George Roohr. Both
owned shops on Division Street.
Fred Roth Blacksmith and Bill (son) standing in doorway
LOUIS SCHORER BLACKSMITH SHOP
L to R: Louis Schorer, Henry Meyer, Paul Draeger, old Holtzhausen
Blacksmith shop. Louis built the work shop on the rear of shop. (Mr.
Meyer was hit by flying board from the pulleys and died.)
-27-


Go up to Top of Page