University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Colby, Wisconsin centennial
(1873-1973)

Sketches of pioneers,   pp. 18-127


Page 25

ing 80 acres from Heinrich Schrumn. Later Barbara purchased
40 acres across the road increasing their holdings to 160 acres.
Eight children were born of this union: Peter, Gorman, Otto,
Lawrence, Adeline, Lona, Isadore and John who died in infan-
cy. Paul was active in community affairs, serving as assessor of
the town of Hull, director and treasurer of the Hull Town Mu-
tual Ins., Co., and director of the Security State Bank. Paul and
his son, Isadore, farmed together until 1917.
Isadore Firnstahl married Lillian Lystad in 1920 and rented
the farm from his father until 1936 when he purchased it. they
had four children: Norman, Jerry, Virginia and Paul. Isadore
started a milk route, delivering milk in the Colby and Unity
areas for five cents a quart. He was active in community af-
fairs also. Isadore and Lillian operated the farm until 1938
when they moved to Minnesota, returning to Colby in 1940
when they purchased the Kraus and Kersten store and op-
erated it as an IGA grocery store until 1947.
Firnstahl Bros. Gen. Mdse. Store later was Senkbeils Bakery
Paul Firnstahl, Isadore's son, purchased the original 120
acres in 1967, and the 40 acres across the road was purchased
by Isadore's daughter, Virginia Lamont in the same year. Paul
and family moved on to the farm in 1969.
Lona Firnstahl, age 80 and Isadore Firnstahl, age 77, are
both residents of Colby and are the only surviving children of
the original Paul Firnstahl family.
Steven, the youngest son of Mike Sr., was at one time bar-
tender at the July and Wolf Tavern. He married Marie Peters
from Chicago and lived on a farm % mile east of Colby. His
son Herbert and wife farmed at the same farm until his death.
Mrs. H. Firnstahl is still living there.
D. J. ETSELL
Born in Ontario, Canada, Feb. 2nd, 1850,
married to Rosa Sage, niece of Peter Engleman, founder of the
English and German Academy at Milwaukee. Engaged in farm-
ing until 1878 when he came to Colby and located on the
Marathon side of the village, opened a hardware store in 1879,
he purchased a farm of 160 acres the same year.
CLAY JOHNSON
was a lather and shingler. He was a well-
known baseball player and umpire and also a musician in the
community band. He married Isabelle Graham of the Town of
Hull.
BUSINESS PLACES OF COLBY IN 1878
Business places in Colby in 1878 consisted of the following:
FRANK BROTT-
Dealer in Dry Goods, Groceries, Millinery, Watches and
Jewelry
B.F. WALKER-
Dry Goods
BREDEMEYER-
Dry Goods
SHAFER BROS-
Printing Office
G. R. TAYLOR-
Furniture Store
DR. FREEMAN-
M. D. Drugs
G. J. WALBRIDGE-
Hardware Store
D. S. BULLOCK-
Real Estate Surveyor
SIEGRIST-
Boots, Shoes and Slippers
G. W. GHOCA-
Colby House and Postmaster
CHARLES GROW-
Attorney
WM. BARTELL-
Land Agent for Wis. Central Railroad
M. ENGLEDINGER-
Prop. of Union House
H. J. BLANCHARD-
Sample Room-1 Door South of Colby House
DR. AUG. WILMS-
Drug Store-Barber Shop
N. P. PETERSON-
Blacksmith
P. R. EDMINSTER-
General Mdse. and Lumber
FERGUSON BROS.-
Lumber Mill
East, west and northwest there were old settlers who had
their land under a good state of cultivation. In the immediate
vicinity there were over 10,000 bu. of wheat which had to be
hauled to be ground so a flouring mill was needed.
The Wis. Cen. R. R. had made an offer of a certain tract of
land for a mill site to any person who would build and run
such a mill. In 1879 they cleared the land and Reynolds and
Bryant constructed a grist mill.
Ira Graves, with his brother Leroy  built the first lumber
mill a mile or so below the present site of Colby. N. J. White
associated with them in the business. H. J. Blanchard, came in
1873 and worked in the mill for Graves. Potter and Ferguson
purchased the mill of Ira Graves, the mill was twice burned but
Phoenix like, it arose from its ashes.
0
1878-Walbridge has a new "waverly" parlor stove on ex-
hibition?
The other day a lady took an "impromtu" seat in a basket
of chickens at B. F. Walker's store.
-25-


Go up to Top of Page