University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Colby, Wisconsin centennial
(1873-1973)

Sketches of pioneers,   pp. 18-127


Page 24

AUGUST SCHULZ
came from Germany to the United
States with his parents in 1876. He then came to Colby and
bought a 40-acre piece of woodland. These were the ox and
jumper days when eggs were an expensive six cents a dozen and
butter was seven cents a pound.
Mr. Schulz walked to Minnesota several times to work in
the harvest fields to earn some cash. He would return by train.
In the winter, he worked in the lumber camps. He was a build-
ing mover by trade, and moved many buildings and put them
on foundations.
In 1921, he sold his farm to one of his sons. He had three
sons, George, Ernest, Gottlieb and two daughters, Minnie and
Anna.
MR. AND MRS. AUGUST SCHULZ OBSERVED THEIR 55TH
WEDDING ANNIVERSARY
WI LLIAM ZASSENHAUS
was born in Germany in 1838.
William was a graduate in chemistry and mining and after serv-
ing as a soldier for two years, he engaged in the exploring and
mining field. In 1877 he came to the town of Green Grove.
:L: .I..    E. N,  , S. ,
WILLIAM ZASSENHAUS
Here he conducted the first store and post office for two years.
There being only four settlers at this time. He was elected to
the office of Register of Deeds of Clark County, was the first
Chairman of Green Grove, assisted in the building of the
,churches and school house. He was married to Maria Orth.
Seven children were born to this union: Louise, Joseph, Agnes,
Wm. Jr., Mary, Clara and Frederick.
MICHAEL WEIX
The oldest of 14 children, Michael Weix
was born in Leroy, Wisconsin in 1855. He came to this vicinity
in 1878 at the age of 23. Two years later, after his marriage to
Mary Ohlinger at Lomira,, Wis., he and his wife settled on their
homestead in the town of Hull. In 1904 he sold this farm to
Leonard Schraufnagel, his nephew, and moved to the city and
WEIX MEAT MARKET-Mike Weix with the long white apron. His wife
Mary, is to his left (rest unknown).
operated a butcher shop of Albert Hecker. His brother, John,
was in partnership with him for a short time. He later rented
his shop to Hecker's son. The building was torn down about
10 years later and that lot is now the site of a war memorial.
MATTES MUELLER            came to Colby in 1877 and home-
steaded in the Town of Green Grove. A son, August, operated
a saloon in Colby in 1919, which is presently the Uptown Bar.
Mr. Mueller purchased the Colby House of Chas. Frome, now
the Town and Country Bar, and called it Mueller's Bar. Muel-
lers maintained a side room, commonly called the "waiting
room" which served as a meeting place for families while mar-
keting or waiting for feed to be ground. They also had a barn
for the farmers' teams of horses. After Mueller's death, the
business was taken over by his sons, Lawrence and Walter, who
operated the bar until 1941, when Mr. and Mrs. Ray Gries be-
came the new owners.
FIRNSTAHL FARM STORY
Mike Firnstahl and wife migrated to the U. S. from Salz-
burg, Austria in 1872 with four sons, Frank, Paul, Mike and
Steven, remaining in Pennsylvania until 1877 when they came
to Colby. They settled on railroad land one mile east of Colby
in the town of Hull.
Mike Jr. married Catherine Leichtnam in 1885 and lived in
Colby for 47 years. His trade was building constructor and
plasterer.
Paul Firnstahl married Barbara Weix and lived in Colby un-
til 1882 when he purchased the original 40 acre homestead
from the railroad company. In 1903 he purchased the adjoin-
-24-


Go up to Top of Page