University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
Link to University of Wisconsin Digital Collections
The State of Wisconsin Collection

Page View

Cartwright, Carol Lohry; Shaffer, Scott; Waller, Randal / City on the Rock River : chapters in Janesville's history
(1998)

13. Architects and builders,   pp. 227-248


Page 229

Chase, Robert S.
Robert S. Chase practiced architecture in Janesville for 50 years, between 1911 and 1961. A
reclusive man, he is little known. The 1952, 1956, and 1958 Janesville city directories, carry
advertisements in the Buyer's Guide section that list him as "Registered Architect" and
"Member of the American Institute of Architects." In addition, the Rock County Historical
Society possesses a number of architectural drawings for comfort stations and warming houses
that Chase designed for the Janesville Park System. These designs were apparently revised by
parks director Joseph Lustig before their construction. (Chase, Robert S., RCHS files; Douglas
& Hartung 1976:221)
Home address: 117 S. Locust St., Old Fourth Ward Historic District.
Designs:       Grubb House, 1128 Grace St.
Hilton and Sadler (Lorin L. Hilton and Frank E. Sadler)
The firm of Hilton and Sadler was active in Janesville during the first two decades of the
twentieth century. Lorin L. Hilton is first mentioned as an architect in the 1903 Janesville city
directory, with an office in the Lappin-Hayes Block (2 S. River St.). Hilton's early
commissions include an addition to the old Adams School (not extant), the Yahn Brothers
Building, and the Marquette Apartments. By 1907, Hilton had taken Frank E. Sadler on as his
partner; they advertised that their firm designed especially for "churches, schools, factories,
and all classes of public buildings." Again in 1917, the men advertised themselves as designers
of churches, fraternity buildings, theaters, and public buildings. They were also partners in
the Bower City Construction Company. Their known works in Janesville include the old porte-
cochere (not extant) for the Allen P. Lovejoy house (220 St. Lawrence Ave.) and the Michaelis
and New Cullen flats. By 1919, Sadler was in practice by himself and Hilton had disappeared
from the Janesville scene. Sadler moved his architectural practice to Madison in the late
1920s. (City Directories; Shearer Collection, RCHS files; Janesville Gazette 1904:10; Hartung
1982:n.p.; National Register of Historic Places nomination form for Lovejoy and Merrill-
Nowlan Houses, 1980; Janesville Gazette 1909:9; Janesville Gazette 1911:33)
Designs:       Michaelis Flats, 509 E. Milwaukee St., Courthouse Hill Historic District.
New Cullen Flats, 607-609 E. Milwaukee St., Courthouse Hill Historic District.
New Cullen Flats (1911), 607-609 E. Milwaukee St. Hilton and Sadler, architects.
Architects and Builders
229


Go up to Top of Page